• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reseviour or Tee line....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luihed

Registered
Is there any advantage of using a resevour as compared with a tee line..... I wanna use the latter but I wanna know if there is any drawback on using a tee line..... thx

Well as far as I have been able to discover the major difference is that a t-line makes it a little harder to fill a system, and takes longer to bleed a system. A res makes both easier, at the expense of being large.

what about

the reservoir obviously holds more water thus may give it an advantage in tempature?

I'm not sure about the merits of this but...if you look around and read some of the discussions, there are some people's system with a big arse reservoir.

it would make sense since the warm water can dissipate out more inside a reservoir that holds lots of water

Re: what about

therudyq3 said:
the reservoir obviously holds more water thus may give it an advantage in tempature?

I'm not sure about the merits of this but...if you look around and read some of the discussions, there are some people's system with a big arse reservoir.

it would make sense since the warm water can dissipate out more inside a reservoir that holds lots of water
A res holds NO advantage in temps... eventually the rig will come to equalibrium, it will take longer with a res but it will happen. Res' are big, very prone to leaking/breaking/cracking etc. A T line is the way to go IMO, it does take longer to bleed but if you do it right, you can be filled and ready to fire up the system in about 2 hours.

I chose to go with a res when I setup my current (first) system. Air bleeds out in seconds. Then can be mounted on the outside of the case, in a drive bay (BayRes) or put in the case itself. I use a 16 oz. r/c fuel tank. You could lose some temp from the res itself, but don't use one for that reason.

u don't lose heat from an acrylic res. Unless u have copper tubing going through like Gemini's res., or a metal res. it would give off a little bit, but it would be pointless, if u're going to waste the space, get a bigger radiator.

Using a T-line doesn't have to be hard!! You could fill it up drop by drop for hours and try shaking it like mad to get the bubbles out, but theres an easier way! I put the pump under my coolant mixture (so basicly in submergable mode) and let the system fill up (about 2-3 sec!) then turn it on and off a few times to get rid of most of the bubbles and just connect while it still in the bucket. then basicly its ready to use!

BTW, nikhsub1 what does IMO??

After building my 1st watercooled setup a T-line was used.

The fact that you have to connect the inlet hose in the pump underwater then install everything in the case takes quite a bit.

So this time i decided going for an acrylic res from Criticool its 4" with 1/2 barbs. It fits on the right side of my motherboard tray and looks quite cool.

Bleeding the system took very little and IMO its much more faster than using a T-line as the res does all the work.

thx jin/rudyq3
Nope!.. well nothing worth mentioning anyways...
... but it does look cool in a bay drive :p
speaking of which, my friend's bay drive leaked, i had to resilicon it all back again. But then again, my t-line leaked because i had a bad cap.. fixed now....

OOOOOOO, also something really important.
if u have a really strong pump, whirl pools will start forming in your res. and the pump will start sucking in air. You gotta make sure u have like no air bubbles in the res or have it set up so that water doesn't swing in a circle to get to the outlet (for example, bay res) i had to extend the inlet with tubing to fix that with my friends bay res

I don't particularly like the BayRes for that reason. It doesnt seem deep enough. A taller res lets the pump get fluid and not the air from the turbulence above.

but its still a waste of space
heatcores have two small tanks for reservoirs, isn't that enough? its even made out of metal which conducts more heat then acrylic ever will.

I have experimented with reservoirs and except for the exernal res. I tried my temps were always slightly HIGHER in the long run.

My theory is that the heated liquid increases case temp slightly.
(Of course it could have just been badly executed reservoirs!)

Needless to say I do NOT use a reservoir in any of my systems;)

argh, again, res release heat so slowly that i can have my cat sniff it and cool it off.
The only good it'll do (heatwise) is take longer to heat if your rad. fan dies or something. They are, for the most part, just as useless as that power down protector that extends fan cooling after you shut down that pcmods.com sells

i used one while i had my system setup on a test bed but after that when i went to go put it back in my case i was having a hard time finding a spot for it. For that reason i went back toa t-line and although it can take a little while to bleed out, you can always just go watch a movie or somthing. T line is also very usefull if you have a smaller case such as a pc60.

Thanks for the info guys... I guess Ill be using a T-line for my first WC. Dont wanna start a new thread so Ill throw in another question, when they say taht the whitewater comes in 1/2" fitting, is that 1/2" id or od....

the barb itself is 1/2" OD thus fitting in a 1/2" ID tubing. my friend ordered 1/2 OD tubing thinking it would fit his 1/2" waterblock, so u gotta pay attention to that..

Back