• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some info on new pc...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Falcon-X

Hi....

Okay, im new here so i hope i have selected the correct forum for the question :)

I have heard that you guys here knows everything there is to know so here goes....

I have planned to upgrade my system with these parts:

Motherboard : Intel D875PBZ 800Fsb
CPU : Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800Fsb
Memory : Corsair 512Mb DDR400 (maybe 1Gb... i have heard that above 512 could make problems.. is that true???)
Graphic card : Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (maybe 256???)

Does the HT technology make any big difference?

These are probably small questions for you guys :D

Thanks for any help!

Falcon-X

I would lose the Intel mobo and get a good Abit or Asus. Yes, the HT does make a difference but only to a small extent.There are only a few programs that will take full advantage of the HT tech.

Also get 2 sticks of ram to take advantage of the dual channel ddr in the new chipsets.

im new here

then let me be the first to say
Welcome to the forum!!!

I'm not at all an Intel guy, so I can't help much with the other part...but here's my two cents:

graphics card: If you're a gamer, you'll love it. I went from a GeForce 2 to a Radeon 9500 Pro...best $200 I ever spent on my computer.

maybe 1Gb... i have heard that above 512 could make problems.. is that true??

Some older Windows operating systems had problems with large amounts (greater than 512 megs) of RAM. This was mainly an issue with Windows 95, 98, and ME. Here is a link to microsoft's support site with a little more information about it. If you're using a different OS (Linux, Windows 2k, Windows XP) this isn't an issue. At least, it's not a problem that I'm aware of.

One more thought about RAM: If money gets to be an issue, I'd scrap the 1 gig of RAM idea. Piling RAM into your computer only gives you a performance boost up to a certain point. After that, the change is negligable. 512 megs is the sweet spot for most users right now, IMO. Of course, it depends on what you're doing with your computer...and some others here may disagree with that. :p

I have heard that you guys here knows everything there is to know
I'm glad we've got a good rep, but I think most of us are still learning :D :D

2 stick of Corsair 512mb flavor then, I would also suggest the pc3500 for the headroom if you plan on overclocking it. The only problem with large amounts of ram was in older OS's as said above. The 9800 would be the best u can get or if they have or if they plan in the recent future an AIW 9800 Pro. I would not get an Intel mobo on the grounds that they take away the option to overclock , even if you dont plan on it now you may in the future so I would leave that option open by getting an aftermarket motherboard.( Abit or Asus)My preference is the Abit IC& or the IC&-G Advance.

HT is a technology used by intel in order to be able to operate like a dual CPU system. If that doesnt fit you then you dont need it. In a review they said that in alot of normal computer use cases it had no effect at all or it hurt the performance.

If you mainly game then I dont think you need too much RAM 512 usually holds it down but graphics, CAD anything like that 1 GB.

Welcome to the forum Falcon X. No we dont know everything but there are alot of smart, creative but mostly gutsy people here. We are all learning from each other and pretty soon we will know everything jk.

You can take advantage of that HT and put it to good use by folding. You can find more information here: http://folding.stanford.edu and fold for us (team32). :D

As far as RAM goes, I'd have to agree with trdsw20. Anything above 512MB is overkill unless you're running a RAM-intensive game(such as BF1942) or doing video or graphics rendering/editing as they can take up to 700+MB of RAM. And PC3500 will leave you some headroom if you ever want to OC.

I think that 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro will last you a good while, as I don't think there are even any games or programs out yet that will utilize a full 256MB on a video card, but you never know...

I think once your start OCing and getting into it, you'll get addicted like the rest of us and you'll be doing all you can to squeeze every last possible Hz out of your CPU. :)

Last edited:
Back