• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going from 43CFM to 52CFM, worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ian

I have an Alpha PAL8045 and it's currently running a Elanvital 8cm 43CFM fan(link), since HOT summer is approaching in Hong Kong, I'd like to get a more powerful fan. I'm currently looking at 2 solutions:

1) Delta EFB0812EH (5000rpm 52CFM, 42.5dBA)

2) Sunon PMD1208PMB1 aka Vantec Tornado, link, together with a fanbus

I'm concerned about fan noise but yet I'd like good cooling to overclock my 1700+ DLT3C.

Will I see significant difference going from 43CFM to 52CFM?

probably won't see a huge difference. if you're going to upgrade from 43 CFM just go all the way with a tornado or similar on a fan bus like you said. that way you could turn it down to 43CFM and save your ears some.

My experience is that Elan Vital fan is LOUD. I think you could run a 50dfm Sunon or other similar fan and it actually be quieter. It's not going to make a big difference to temperatures (a degree or two), but I think there's every chance the noise will actually be better. That Elan Vital fan is hard on the ears.

I really doubt the tornado and fanbus method will buy you anthing by the time you turn it down to where the noise is tolerable. If I were you I would spend the fanbus money on a SLK900 and use a 40-50cfm 80mm fan on it. It may also only be a slight improvement over the Alpha, but that is because there nothing significantly wrong with the Alpha.

Last edited:
I have noticed that the temp drops get increasingly smaller as you increase air flow. At least thats my experience. What other fans do you have in the case?

ToledoSteel said:
I have noticed that the temp drops get increasingly smaller as you increase air flow. At least thats my experience. What other fans do you have in the case?

I agree,I think it's called the point of diminishing returns. Or something like that.

Back