• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA on Sil RAID controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gtsimmo

I just got a ASUS a7n8x deluxe 2.0, and im trying to get my raptor to work on the sil controller but i cant. Im thinking it could because it's a RAID controller that only support RAID 0 and RAID 1and doesnt support JBOD. I only have one Raptor for the moment and even with the drivers for the controller installed the drive shows up in the device manager but i cant use it. Is my suspicions correct? Do i have no other choice but to get another drive to RAID them or get an external controller? Anyone having this problem with SATA drives?

the drive should work in single mode. jobd isnt supported on those 2 port sata onboard controllers i believe. jbod needs a True raid controller that has alot of disks and sees them as one.
so its a conflict with the drive and sata drives id think, OR the drive or mobo is messed up.
try the sata adaptor on one of your ide drives and see if it works. if so then its probly your drive.

Well it's a single drive on a RAID controller. I couldnt make a single drive array for it of course. So even though a disk is detected the array isnt so that's why i think it doenst work.
Anyone with a SATA drive care to shead some light?

sounds to me like the drive needs partitioned and formated.
you need to get a dos boot disk and fdisk and create a primary dos partition then format it.
your not seeing it as windows cant see it.

also the controller will is a plain sata controller.and supports 2 drives just like ide would.but it does have raid capabilitys also.thats when you have to go into the controller properties while booting and create an array.

cant do that cause if i boot from dos drives on the controller wont be detected cause the controller drivers arent loaded.

Go into Logical Disk Manager under WinXP. You will be able to create partitions, format, etc, within Disk Manager.

It's under the administrative tools folder, computer managment.

If the drive is being detected under the device manager, chances are it's working fine.

Back