• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Digital Camera

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palee72

Ok, I'm looking for a new Digital camera. I'm looking in the $200us price range. I currently have a Coolpix 950, which is slowly dying.

It doesn't have to be super fancy, and it must use the media cards (the square ones).

Any help? Thanks

I second the canon vote.
I too have a coolpix 950 that is being held together by tape and what not... batterydoor no longer stays shut. I loved the camera, nice color and picture quality for 2.1MP
since then, i have picked up the canon elph s200 and s320 mainly due to their features combined with its almost hassle-free size. although i do prefer the nikon imager.
btw, i picked up the s200 for @230 after some coupons and discounts from dell this past xmas. so who knows how much they go for now that the newest iterations are out.

I looked at the Coolpix 2100 last night. It looks like a nice camera, and it seems to have gotten some decent reviews. It has alot of the same features of the 950, plus 15sec video and a slue of other features. It's small and doesn't have the swivel joint, which I kind of liked. Some seem to say that it is a weak point in the camera, I never had a problem with it.

All my doors are still on it. We actually got it "free" 2 x-mas ago. My fience found it in the lobby of her work place and turned it into security. The next day, she got a call from them to come down. The owner of the camera thanked her for turning it in, but, seeing as he was on business and needed a camera, he went out and bought a brand new one (on the company). So, he said for being honest, and, being close to christmas, he let her have the camera. So, I can't really complain about it at all.. It is running really, really slow now. It takes about 10 seconds to access the card in playback. The only drawback with the camera is the delay between clicking the picture, and the moment the picture is taken. Too many moments have been lost to that....

If all that is making you want to buy a new camera is the speed in which your camera operates, and you still enjoy shooting with it, I would say to pick up a faster compact flash card. I mean if you are still using the plain old stock CF or even a lexar 4x card, you can see a distinct difference in read/write speeds of 8x and up cards. Also, if you want to improve on say the speed of the zoom motor and such, try using quality ni-mh batteries eg. 1600mAh rayovacs from target. These run like champs in my coolpix and am able to shoot ~80-100 pics with lcd on. there are better out there, but the rayovacs are readily available.

I dont want to dissuade you from getting the another nikon, but ever since they started skimping in their camera casings, using more plastic, I kinda started looking elsewhere. There is something weird about paying upwards of 600-700 dollars for a plastic camera. Im not sure if they have also changed their movie mode either, but another turn off was that the recorded movies had no sound. :( big sin, in my book.

to each, his own... you might want to check out stevesdigitalcameras.com for reviews and such on camera realated things.

I love the nikon imager, but was willing to compromise for the versitility and compactness of the canon elph. for me, the elph's images looked "warmer" than the nikon's...(2.1MP) but, i am partial to the cooler image of the nikon.

good luck

Thanks for all the input. I'll definatly try the above before getting another camera.

Wish I had the cable to do the firmware upgrade. I'll have to see what I can find...

I did not read all the responces above I just want to say that I posted a similar question not long ago. LINK. It might help.

I ordered Canon S200 from newegg and when it gets here I will tell you how it goes, if don't forget.

Back