• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Restarts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

I have a stock Dell 8100. no oc, no upgrades, exacly how it came to my door. Recently it has just randomly restarted, no matter what program i am running. I have scanned for viruses, spyware, adware, what could be the probem? I checked for loose cables and everthing. Sometimes the computer won't even get into the OS. It just beeps and the Dell screen. Any suggestions?

First and formost... It's a Dell..

That out of the way, how old is it?
have you installed any new software?
Is it still under warrenty?
Have you called Dell? They'll probably make you do a bios flash (which almost never solves the problem)
What is the OS?
Have you tried the recovery disk yet?

umm... Can't think of anything at the moment..

It could be PSU related.. They make those things just able to run the equipment.

It could be RAM realated.

Run AdAware 6.xx or whatever is new..

Check the running processes for anything strange..

Let us know..

Its a Dell, i know, im stupid, im planning on building one this summer, but it would be nice to use this one as kind of a "test rig" maybe

Ok back to the point, its about to be 2.5 years old
Any new software? I have lots of stuff, but nothing major in the time period this started to happen.
Warrenty is over
No i have not called dell, half the time i can't understand the foreign person helping me, and 99 percent of the time i like can't even get through.
The OS is XP
I have recovery disks, but i mean sometimes it works and sometimes im not sure it even gets to the part of checking the floppy drive.
I have ran adware 6 and spybot search and destroy
I have too many processes and don't know what they all are, but nothing new since before this started happeneing.

i also get lots of beeps when the computer won't turn on.... idk what they mean bc everything is plugged in, like i said i haven't messed with anything

Back