• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Cool MOD????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

Can you hook up a Thermal Take Smart Fan 2 80X25 to a fan speed controler and control it completely manually instead of using the automatic controller? How does the Cool Mod know when the HDD is working? I want this fan, but i would like the hdd light to work, while me completely controlling fan speeds.

If you buy the SF2 it retail it comes with a manul controller. The HDD light I belive taps into the line for the HDD light on your case.... my asumption, I have a Volcano 9 non-cool mod.

I know that it comes with the manual controler, but is there any way to hook it up to a Nexus NXP 201?

Best price??

Thermal Take Smart Fan 2 80X25

Has anyone done their HW and found the best price for the fan?
I can only find it in Canada and they don't ship to the US.
It's not that I'm lazy or nothin'.

Thanks

Okay. The TT fan already uses the 3-pin connector so it can go straight into the fan controller. The LEDs on the coolfan are meant to use the jumper pins that relate to the Power/HDD LEDs for the case.

Re: Best price??

nakman8 said:
Thermal Take Smart Fan 2 80X25

Has anyone done their HW and found the best price for the fan?
I can only find it in Canada and they don't ship to the US.
It's not that I'm lazy or nothin'.

Thanks

I don't know if anyone has found lower prices, but SVC.com has them for $14.99.

nerdlogic said:
Okay. The TT fan already uses the 3-pin connector so it can go straight into the fan controller. The LEDs on the coolfan are meant to use the jumper pins that relate to the Power/HDD LEDs for the case.

I haven't ever had a fan controler, and im just doing research right now, so does that mean it will work with a Nexus NXP 201, and about the LED lights, what do you mean? I am planning to get a Xaser III will I still be able to use the light up Thermaltake name? (I know many think its ugly, please don't post anthing about its looks.)

eh? You are confusing me :p

The TT Smartfan 2 Coolmod works like this:

You pull out your case HDD and Power LED's. Then you plug in the TT fan leads (there are two - a 2 pin one and a 3 pin one).

Plug each one into the corresponding mobo pins (your case LED's will no longer function). With the fan, it should come already set up so that you just need to turn the dial to increase or decrease fan speed. The controller allows you to get the perfect noise level.

The fan comes with instructions on all this, so if you just read it :p

I dont know what you mean about 'light up thermaltake's name'... just plug the fan into the mobo and the lights on the fan will work - 2 green lights for power, and 2 more for when the HDD is being read/written

That answer your question?

yes, it does, and i don't have intructions yet:D right now im doing research on everything im planning to get for this system im about to build. What can i do so that i can also get the case power LED to light up also?... does the Xaser III even have one of these?

No idea about the Xaser III. But I think you can get a little adapter to power more lights. I think I heard that its not recommended though

Im guessing these light plug into the mobo or something? Bc is shouldn't be a strain on the powersupply should it? Can i get like a "power booster" or something so i can use the lights with the case, AND the fan (not the fan itself, the lights on the fan)?

Not sure, but I didnt bother plugging in the LED lights on the Fan. Just used my case lights.

Back