• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i have got a volcano 7+ instead of a volcano 9+????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lawsy

Registered
Just on the thermaltake site and it reckons that the volcano 7+ disipates 60 watts of heat at 20° above ambient, where as the volcano 9+ can only do this at 40° above ambient..... Now thats a big difference, needing an extra 20° to perform at its best isnt good, and the 7+ is quieter as well (even though it spins a crap load faster at max rpm)....

So, should I stick 50v @ 2amps through it and claim warranty and try the 7+ or what ??? (obviously im going to unscrew it and use an amp to do it, not while its even close to the cpu)...

Well, is the 7+ better that the 9+ or what??

Hmm not sure, I have a V9, and I think that as soon as Ive lapped the base, it should be alot better. Hopefully. Because the base is awfully unsmooth.

why bother destroying it??

If it only cost you like 15$, then just use it in another PC, and buy a V7.

Look, make that australian dollars then add 10 for shipping costs.... It ends up being about 55 bucks for a 7+.....

I want a GOOD HS though.... im talking a killer heatsync. If i can get a good hs and just stick a quiet fan on it ill be a happy camper.

And trust me, i have spent allot more that 55 bucks in simply petrol or bus or train tickers to get this computer fixed from 2 PSU going, so dont give me any of this 'moraly correct' crap, i payed for a good cooler based on the limited reviews i read........

Meh, ill wait and get me either a Vantech Aeroflow (got GREAT reviews) but i cant find any of these slk things, links pls......

ta

the heatsink you go with dictates the fan you use. some sinks need more air. if you want a straight up good sink go with an slk. even the 7 can hold 80mm fans so i'd say slk 7 on up.

Well im looking at an AeroFlow, i read the reviews, the about of air flow and the loud it is. And to be honest, for the price, im VERY impressed. If on a 2500 it can take 10 degrees off the full load temp OVER a volcano 9 (so like 20 degrees of full load temps if you were to run overclocked on a standard HSF).

So, yeah, ill ring the place i got this fan from, ask them if they will take it back (if its a 10% restock fee, i dont care, for 60 bucks i will get like minimum 7 ish degrees less at full load at current temps, which would own).

Then get an NB fan (any suggestions??) and ill be sweet...

210 FSB and a total of 2.4 ghz, ill be one happy camper.... Even 200 stable and 2.3 ghz id be happy. At those specs this pc owned, then it got unstable all of a sudden (see post in AMD CPU section, you might want to help me out there).

Should be lots of retailers stocking good Hsf's near you, up here in the capital of "the branch office state" there are two I buy from, both do mail orders if you can wait for delivery, Swiftech, Alpha, Thermalright etc.
Saw the reviews on the aeroflow, they look ok, was some concern about the reliabilty of the fans though, hope that's been fixed, good performance for the money, if you want anything cooler then it's almost double the money.
After forking out lots of folding stuff I was hoping the Swiftech reviews were accurate:
Asus A7v333R
Xp2400 @ 2232 @ 1.75v
Swiftech Mcx462+
Sunon 80 x 38 84 cfm fan speed controlled

Currently room 24c
Fan @ 3000rpm
case 25c
Cpu 35c
under load Cpu 39c

With fan at full speed:
case 25c
Cpu 30c
Full load 34c

They were accurate
:D

Heh, wd :D

Well its nearly getting to the cold stint we normally get in sydney around about june. So i dont really need it just yet...

Bah hell with it, get it anyway. I'll see what i can do, its jsut a matter if i can get rid of this one and save money (i aint buying the other unless i get about 40 bucks back for this)....

Over here in perth australia we get ripped of $75 for tt vol 7+ and there is only 1 guy that sells em as far as I can find. Not many good computer shops. ie sells anything but whole systems

Yeah i goto try and get me one of these aeroflow's.....
They look the goods, and the newer ones have the revised motors, so they should last a good 60 000 hours (shweet)...

If i can find one and get it to me, ill cut at the VERY LEAST 5° at load, that should be enough to get where i wanna be.

Lawsy said:
Just on the thermaltake site and it reckons that the volcano 7+ disipates 60 watts of heat at 20° above ambient, where as the volcano 9+ can only do this at 40° above ambient..... Now thats a big difference, needing an extra 20° to perform at its best isnt good, and the 7+ is quieter as well (even though it spins a crap load faster at max rpm)....

So, should I stick 50v @ 2amps through it and claim warranty and try the 7+ or what ??? (obviously im going to unscrew it and use an amp to do it, not while its even close to the cpu)...

Well, is the 7+ better that the 9+ or what??

OK look i didnt even read thro the thread but after i read this post all i can say is YOU PAY FOR THE MISTAKE YOU CHOOSE.

Yes you didnt search for a good product, so then that was your mistake.

What you intend to do is NOT ETHICAL. Please reconsider it.:rolleyes: .Man i hate making product these days

Thank you very much.

Back