• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firewall in Xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snapmando

Hi,

I wanna adjust my firewall to use while I'm downloading music and stuff. How do I adjust the port range in the firewall Xp has?
I just recently went from Dial-up to Wireless DSL and I wanna keep my computer remotely safe. I'm using XP Home.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks Again
Snapmando

there is just plain and simple no way to modify the firewall properties of the winxp firewall. i know this isn't the route you'd like to go, but i would recommend getting a router which will have a firewall built into that and is highly customizable to do exactly what you want to do. i would recommend the d-link di-604 if you are interested. the winxp firewall really isn't that great at all... it only seems to stop what you don't want it to :)

Did a search through the MS knowledge base. I think this is what your looking for. If not, there was some other linkies at the bottom of this page Hope that helps.

Although I agree with mbentley, you should get a router or at least a software firewall as MS is not known for making good quality stuff.

Dr.

thanks for the correction... i was feeling to lazy to pull up the ms knowledge base... :rolleyes:

how sad is that... :)

honestly the built in xp firewall isnt really very secure at all, if you want something a little more secure with more features check out zone alarm or tiny firewalls. Believe it or not now adays I dont think that is enough I use a good router with a hardware firewall and NAT. That's what I would recommend, I've gotten hacked before I had my router, it does happen..

Back