• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan/Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrpops2ko

Registered
Right here is what details I have found
Cpu Name AMD Athlon XP (Barton)
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
Family / Model / Stepping 6 A 0
Extended Family / Model 7 A
Package Socket A
Technology 0.13µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
Cpu Clock 1837.5 MHz
Clock multiplier x 11.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 167.0 MHz
Bus Speed 334.1 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 Kbytes, 2-way set associative, 64 bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 Kbytes, 2-way set associative, 64 bytes line size
L2 Cache 512 Kbytes, 16-way set associative, 64 bytes line size
L2 Speed 1837.5 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Motherboard manufacturer MSI
Motherboard model MS-6712, 1.0
BIOS vendor American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS revision Version 07.00T
BIOS release date 04/02/01
Chipset VIA KT400 (VT8377) rev. 0
Southbridge VIA VT8235 rev. 0
Sensor chip Winbond W83697HF

RAM Type DDR-SDRAM
RAM Size 512 Mb
RAM Frequency 334.1 MHz
RAM Interleave 4-way
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 7 clocks
# of memory modules 1
Module 0 DDR-SDRAM PC2100 - 512 Mb

AGP Status enabled, rev. 2.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate 4x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size 128 Mb

Windows version Microsoft Windows XP (Build 2600)

right im gonna get a better fan/ heatsink what shud I get Im not bothered about the price just I really want a good 1 to keep it cool

H/S

MrPops, you're probably not going to believe this.

Just last week I read a review on HS's and fans and I was absolutely astounded. Some high tec independent lab had done tests on the cooling abilities of various HS's from the stock AMD to the best after markets. They had pictures of their test bed and I was very impressed. All said and done, as a general rule, the so-called "best" HS fan-cooler combo only dropped the CPU temp by five degrees lower than the stock "boxed" AMD HS & fan. It wasn't OC'd, just set up like normal, think it was an Athalon XP 2100+. I nearly fell in the floor.

Tomshardware.com has lot's of tests and reviews so you might want to poke around there. The Arctic Silver compound buys you another five degrees or so lower temps.

Nexfan.com has lots of coolers at good prices, so take a look see. I ordered from them five times and always good service and excellent pricing. OldBird

ok thanks for this m8 I will go and have a look at them sites so you are saying if I get a better fan it will only drop the temp by like 5 or 10 C

5c? gotta laught at that. my slk-800 dropped the temps from my volcano7 by 12c idle/15c load on my palamino xp1800. my t/bred 1800 now idles at around 30c-32c @ 1725mhz - that wouldnt happen with any stock amd cooler.

My friend had the stock h/s on his t/bred xp2100. his slk-800 dropped the temps even more than mine did - the slk-800 is more efficiant at higher ambient temps so the difference is even greater.

It's not that i dont believe what they said, its that i KNOW from my own experiance that my slk-800 is better than that.

Last edited:
HS

Yes Sir, that is what I read in the article. As for vendors in the UK, can't help you there.

I run a Athalon XP 2100+ with the B core, stock boxed AMD HS and fan with the AMD pink compound, not OC'd. It runs around 100 to 120F which is plenty cool. From what I read the AMD's run up to 140F with no problems.

For all practical purposes and if you're not into OC'ing I think you'll do fine with the AMD set up. Another benefit is when you buy the "boxed" version you get a THREE year AMD warranty.

If you're going to OC then I hope some others will advise you accordingly. I'm a senior citizen and can only relate what I see on my 'puter and what I read on the web.

Things to do, places to do, so gotta' get saddeled up. Have a great day and thank you Britans for standing beside us in the recent "crisis". Good on ya' mate! OldBird

HS

I totally agree James. All we can do is share what we read and what we see on our own computers and then let them research it for themselves. Personal experience is a very valuable learning tool and it is great when people like you are so willing to share. As long as mine runs no more than 120 to 125F I'm happy and the CPU is happy.

I'm on your side because it made me wonder, . . . . if using an after market HS isn't any more benefit than that, then why do so many people use them ??? DUUUH . . . ? ?

I admit, I'm just an OldBird with a home computer and I'm certain you pros know a whole lot more than I. That is why I come here, to learn from you and I thank you for the input. Someday if I chose to overclock I have your info in my "computer book of knowledge."

Thanx Bro' and have a super Sunday. Old Bird

definatly. my slk-800 is far supior to the stock hs i had before. Right now, my cpu @ 1725mhz is running 30c idle, 40c full load (thats 90f,100f full or somewhere around there). That to me is extremly impressive concidering im only using a normal case fan running at 7volts on the heatsink (pushing about 10-12cfm i would imagine)

as for u.k retailers - i have a huge list but i cant be bothered to write then all out - so ill email them if you give me an addy, if you dont mind that is lol

Last edited:
Re: H/S

huneycutt said:
All said and done, as a general rule, the so-called "best" HS fan-cooler combo only dropped the CPU temp by five degrees lower than the stock "boxed" AMD HS & fan. It wasn't OC'd, just set up like normal, think it was an Athalon XP 2100+. I nearly fell in the floor.

I'll through my vote in with James as well. The SLK is good for way more then a 5 degree drop. Have linkage on that article that performs this test? ;)

Anyway, If you aren't bothered by the price, get the SLK-800. Still a great HS...

thanks well I m not bothered about the price I just want it really, really cool and are heatsink and fan the same word or are they both different

james.miller said:
5c? gotta laught at that. my slk-800 dropped the temps from my volcano7 by 12c idle/15c load on my palamino xp1800. my t/bred 1800 now idles at around 30c-32c @ 1725mhz - that wouldnt happen with any stock amd cooler.

That's a big degree difference. I hope mine does that when I get it.

ow sorry about this I got it wrong I dunno I think it does now I know U can judge:

Description:
Thermalright's SLK-900, 92mm fan, all copper cooler. This cooler supports all processor speeds. Uses the four mounting holes in your motherboard for both AMD and Intel.

Features:
All copper design for maximum performance.
Soldered fins to base to ensure effective contact.
92mm stock fan for more cooling capability.
Screws through motherboard mounting, better for LAN parties.
Both AMD socket A and Intel socket-478 compatible.

Supports:
AMD: Athlon XP Palamino, Thoroughbred, and Barton 2800 and up.
Intel: Pentium-4 socket-478 3.06 GHz and above.

Technical Spec.:
Dimensions: L99 x W59 x H45 (mm) Top, without fan.
Dimensions: L67 x W81 x H45 (mm) Bottom, without fan
Weight: 570g (heat sink only; for AMD).
Weight:587g (heat sink only; for Intel).

Fans:
-Sunon 92mm, ball bearing, 2700rpm, 49cfm 34.5dbA 3-pin connector, rpm monitoring.
-Enermax 92mm variable speed, 1200-2500rpm, 30-52cfm,20-30dba.

The ThermalRight SLK-900-U is the best heatsink I have used. It droped the temps to around 34C at idle, and 36C load. Here is a review of it that I wrote - Link.

From what I've seen you will observe a 1-2C drop going from a SLK-800 to a 900. You did notice the part about the 4 mounting holes for the SLK-900, right? I know you were originally thinking of getting the MSI - that board doesn't have the holes (which is why I originally said to get the 800 ;) )

Back