• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crackling Sound :/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MetalStorm

The sound on all my videos crackles, this is not due to video quality because they work fine on other computers and the sound is fine if I extract it and listen to it through winamp, not all the videos crackle to the same degree though...This is using windows media player 6 - time to consider an upgrade?!

MP3s play fine and dont crackle...

Is this because my computer is overclocked? Its running at 12x200, Im using the onboard soundstorm sound.

Any help would be much appreciated

So are you saying it's your media player that is making them crackle?

i presume you are using hte onboard sound?

Okay well after further testing, media player only crackles when play mpeg files, xVid, DivX and quicktime all work fine, also wav files played through media player work fine...

Yes it is using the onboard soundstorm sound on my NF7-S v2 motherboard.

Any Ideas anyone? Maybe reinstalling the mpeg codec?

i had this same problem with my Nforce, go into the Nforce control panel from the windows control panel. If u don't have the Nforce control panel, get the latest UDA Nforce driver from Nvidia. in the Nforce control panel, turn off the digitized input and mute the line in. All that is done on the main tab. that should fix the problem.

If that doesn't fix the problem...actively cooling the SB has helped the 8RDA+'s with the same issue...on the 8RDA+ the SB tends to overheat and adding a HS and fan keeps it cooler and helps the cracking issue...

you know it could just be the files.. you said it doesnt during wav files- they are a lot higher quality... but most videos use mp3... somtimes a lower quality though... hrm.. have you tried a different player?

MetalStorm said:
Okay well after further testing, media player only crackles when play mpeg files, xVid, DivX and quicktime all work fine, also wav files played through media player work fine...

Yes it is using the onboard soundstorm sound on my NF7-S v2 motherboard.

Any Ideas anyone? Maybe reinstalling the mpeg codec?

A different program to view the mpegs might help.

Do a search on Google for "BSPlayer" and download it. That is a program that plays movie files with little problem. If you ever visit any DivX forums, all the "veterans" suggest using BSplayer to watch movies instead of Media Player. Either that or use the old Media Player 6.4. Just do a search on your computer for "Mplayer2.exe".

Hmm, I muted everything except the master volume and the wave volume, that didnt fix the problem...I have also turned off the digitised input and that doesnt help...this is really annoying me!!!

I can conclude that its not the player, well I dont think it is anyway, I have extracted the sound from various files that used to work fine and the sound is infact okay when played on its own through either winamp or media player.

Also, after encoding various mpegs to other formats, they work fine in media player, and if converted back to mpeg they crackle... this is very strange considering I have converted the Matrix Reloaded trailer from Quicktime to mpeg and that doesnt crackle at all :/ which is stupid as every other mpeg I have does crackle as far as I know.

I have just downloaded Media player 9 - it crackles too, and its gay, its huge! and got loads of completly useless things that im never ever going to use because they suck, that was a waste of 45 mins downloading the damn thing!

I am currently using media player 6.4, (I like it because it can actually make it self small and not have stupid anchor windows or any other crap) but it crackles on it too...

This is really annoying as I think you can appreciate...I will get a heatsink for my southbridge as soon as possible, because from what you guys have said thats the only thing I havnt tried...

God dammit.

I have reinstalled the motherboard drivers, no change...I think the southbridge is going to need some cooling :/ but even that doesnt guarantee...

I am having the same problem with my setup
I know how you feel sneaking around in splinter cell and all of the sudden sssscccccreeeccchhh, or listening to mp3s as well it will do the same thing.
I have a sound blaster audigy
I see a audigy 2 for $72
i don't really wana replace this one though...

I used to have that problem with crackling but then I turned down the main volume to about 80% in control panels and then just upped the volume on the speakers and guess what?
No more crackalakin.
You may have to lower the output even more, seems wierd cause you would think more output power would give a cleaner signal but it didnt work that way.
By the way I have a Audigy2, altec lansing speakers(forget the model 2.1 200watts), KT3 ultra, T-bred 1.7.

Just bringing back an old (ish) thread to say that I have fixed the sound problems...what was causing the crackling was infact an audio codec, I forget the name for it, but it was from the Nimo codec pack, so i just uninstalled it and the sound is great, thanks for the input anyway guys

when im listening to music on windows media player when ever some on signs in on msn i get a crackle and the signin sound then it stops

Back