• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

deciding on a new mboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tru2ya

What would be a good board to get for overclocking, stability, and performance? My price range is around $70-$100. I heard something like mostly all NF2 board's pci/agp frequency are locked at 33mhz no matter how high you raise the fsb. Is that true?

Don't know about ALL but Epox and Abit do. You can also set the AGP freq too so that overclocking doesn't affect it. These two features do let you push the overclocks higher than previous chipsets. :cool:

Hmmm.. $70 - $100.

The usual Abit's and ASUS's are over that price by a good $20, so I won't go into those..

The Epox 8RDA+ falls in that range, as does the Soltek SL-FRN2-L and SL-FRN2-RL (differnce between the two is one has SATA Raid, the other doesn't). You could also consider the MSI K7N2 Delta-L and get the new nForce2 Ultra chipset, or go a little cheaper and get the K7N2-L.

-The Epox and Soltek boards have lockable PCI/AGP, not sure about MSI though.

There are a few other brands that fall in that price range, but I wouldn't recommend those models..

I think your best bet is the 8RDA+ or either of the Soltek boards, or you can be one of the first to have the MSI with the NF2-Ultra chipset.

Not all the board have a PCI lock. I know that the MSI nForce2 boards dont, and I think I have heard that the Soltek one's don't either but I could be wrong on that. If you can afford to pay $120 I would suggest the Abit NF7-S Revision 2 at www.excaliberpc.com.

Do you think its worth it to spend the extra $20 for the nf7-s vs the SL-75FRN2-RL? Doesnt the frn2-rl offer the same performance(overclocking and stability as well) as the nf7-s?

I have no clue how it overclocks but it's for sale at gameve.com for 113 bucks... version 2 as well. Also I think excaliberpc.com has the regular nf7 v 2.0 w/o the s (soundstorm) for 100. If you have a soundcard you really don't need the soundstorm..

So your saying the only difference between the nf7 and nf7-s is the sound? No difference in overclocking or performance?

Anyone else have any ideas of how the soltec compares with abit?

Back