• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A bit ridiculous to be asking but I will anyway

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Top Hat Theater

My sister's Abit NF7-S system runs hot.

MBM5 reports the CPU running at 50C when the case is at 25C. This is with a Thermalright SK7 with a 41cfm fan on her CPU (which is a 2400 AIUCB).

She's got a 120mm intake mounted in the top of the case, near the front (over the optical drives but there's about 4in. clearance between the fan and drives). She's got an 80mm exhaust mounted in the middle of the top of the case and another 80mm exhaust mounted beneath the PSU.

Modding the case is not an option

I'd assume then that case airflow is good.

Her CPU is running on 1.6 Vcore which is .05 less than what it uses at default.

The only thing I can think of that I did wrong is mount the SK7 incorrectly. To double check, the side that you use to clip is supposed to "face" the PSU, right? Or did I do it backwards?

Oh, and AS3 was the TIM used and I applied it paper-thin.

~THT

It may be mounted incorrectly. The problem I see is that the intake is near the top of the case. There is no cool air going to the CPU, b/c the air coming in is just being sucked out by the two exhaust fans.

Typically heatsinks can only install in one direction. So installing it backwards may not be an issue.

Make sure that the fan on the SK-7 is blowing onto the heatsink and not sucking. To check, put your hand over the fan and feel if there's any air blowing onto it. If there is, reverse it.

Evil_Eye said:
Typically heatsinks can only install in one direction. So installing it backwards may not be an issue.

Make sure that the fan on the SK-7 is blowing onto the heatsink and not sucking. To check, put your hand over the fan and feel if there's any air blowing onto it. If there is, reverse it.

Hold on there...there might be some backflow so you might feel some air blowing onto your hand. The best way to test the direction of the fan is to actually take it out (replace it with another fan in the meantime), turn it on and feel which way the air flows.

An intake at the top is the worst idea you could do, reverse the fan and then point all the other fans as intakes, that is what I do any my temps usually don't break 100F, unless it is under a heavy load.

Abit motherboards have issues right now reporting 10c+ higher then they really are, I've been dogging them to fix it :)

Mine reports 13c+ higher on CPU temps, and 33c higher on case temps.

The fan is blowing air onto the 'sink. I'd reverse the two exhausts but I can't as there's a layer of metal preventing it. Coolermaster cases are ridiculous. I'll stick with Lian Li after my experiences working on my sister's case. Because of the rather rigid design of the case, the only intake that's possible is the 120mm. I can't even mount an 80mm at the front of the case.

~THT

Remember. Hot air rises, so all the cool air naturally has to be the lowest you can go. When anything in your pc gives off heat, it goes to the top of the case. Get your intake fans as low as you can get them. Your case should at least have some holes for a couple 40mm fans on the back side, if not 80mm slots on the front. (my no brand case has four 80mm slots in front.) Exaust fans should go as high as you can get em. Heck, im thinking of making a 120mm hole in the top of my case :)

Yeah, I know. but there're no holes whatsoever anywhere at the bottom of the case. That's part of the reason why I think this CoolerMaster case is so ridiculous.

~THT

Wow, that case looks pretty sharp. You were right about the cooling (lol). It mystifies me that someone would design that with only 1 80mm slot and 1 120mm spot on top. Well....since you can't mod it ( I think you said that ), Just make both of em exaust. Chances are the pc is up against a wall, and the psu gives off hot air. You don't want the 80mm fan intaking air, some of it will most likely be hot air. I dunno, um, buy a new case? (lol)

Cool. How come you can't mod it with anything else, even tho it has been modded with a window side panel. With a couple of side fans, and some holes cut in the front, that thing could have some nice potential.

chasingapple said:
Abit motherboards have issues right now reporting 10c+ higher then they really are, I've been dogging them to fix it :)

Mine reports 13c+ higher on CPU temps, and 33c higher on case temps.

Well, when the ambient temp gets to 30C or so, her CPU temp rises into the 60s which then causes a lock up. It just doesn't make any sense b/c even at an overestimated 60C, she should be able to operate albeit a bit on the warm side as her real temp should be in the 50s.

By the by, these are all full load temps.

~THT

Nolo31 said:
Cool. How come you can't mod it with anything else, even tho it has been modded with a window side panel. With a couple of side fans, and some holes cut in the front, that thing could have some nice potential.

Because she won't let me take my Dremel to it. Even though I've proven my work with my Lian Li, she won't let me work on hers.

~THT

I can't. The case is designed so I can't access the fan's screws. It's weird because there's an additional layer of metal over the layer that the fan is screwed into. I can't remove the top layer without destroying the case.

~THT

I say mod it without her knowing it. Even a few small "breathing" holes in the side might lower case and cpu temps a bit. But if the thing is 100% stable there is no use screwing with it.

Back