• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keychains!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bubba gump

Hey, im pretty sure this would be a good section, because afterall they are keychains of your dead parts! (most commonly cpu's)

I just cracked the core of my 1600+ ~1 week ago and i just finished getting the residue off fromt he AMD sticker code thingy on it and the pads off too and i cut the nice hole in it with an exacto-knife! It was easy except it took a while to get it all the way through and about 2mm off of the tip of it cracked (the blade) but heres the pics!

Post pictures of your keychains of your dead parts here!

bg-cpu-key.jpg

Thats the back of it, the front pic of hte cpu looked horrible....i moved hte cpu so it was blurred

bg-cpu-key-2.jpg

And here's a pic of it on my backpack, where it shall always stay!

It wasnt my idea alone, its just that ive heard of people making old/dead p200 MMX's into keychains so ya i decided to do it with my dead 1600+ :)

And since i missed your first few posts Captain U, WELCOME TO THE BOARDS

I am trying to do that to my Duron 1.3 right now, but I can't find a good drill for it.

Wanna recommend one for me ?

I just used a new exacto blade....i picked a spot where there wouldnt be many pins that would get in the way of the hole....

If you just start a small hole with the exacto-knife by pressing down with it a bit harder than u would with a pencil for a while, it should leave a mark. Once you have that little starting position just start spinning it (the knife) around for a while, clean the blade off when u want and blow the "dust" out of the way so you can see the progress. It took me ~10 minutes to get the whole in it, and about 3 minutes of touch up work around the edges. To make it look nicer got under the pads with the knife, and then "cut" them out. After that you can use rubbing alcohol to get the residue/bumps off...there adhesive tends to leave a dried up residue....with rubbing alcohol, as the name says you would need a lot of rubbing for it, but i imagine somehting stronger like Paint Thinner would work well....but if u use the paint thinner try not to touch it, but if you do...when u finish wash ur hands! Dont want that getting in your eyes or your body....have fun!

'Bump

I have 2 old pentiums I made into keychains. I just took some wire made a loop and epoxyed it to the back. I tryed drilling through it but they are F****** hard to drill through. Also I took some old 32 pin simms and gulled them back to back.

To bafbrian I would say try using a drill bit desinged for drilling trough concreate also make sure the drill is powerfull enough.

I turned my burned out XP1600+ into a keychain also. I took a Dremel and chopped off all the pins so I could comfortably put it on my keychain and in my pocket without them stabbing me. Then, I took the Dremel and drilled a hole in it towards an outside corner. I've had it about 7 months now and I love it. I get all kinds of comments about it, too. :)
Bubba, the core on that thing is going to be chipped and cracked away before you know it. The core on mine is basically gone now, with a nice rough grey/black spot where it used to be. :) I'll try to get a pic up at some point.

Going along with what filip04 said---I have started my own little "Old/Dead/Outdated CPU Collection" and I would be happy to take any dead or unused CPU's that you have no use for off your hands. :)

Heheh, i knew chuck had a lot of dead cpu's and knew he made a keychain a while back so i was waitin for him to post in this :)

Glad to see the responses, and htat looked really clean Ken...might the ring go onto ur necklace? And whats with u and ur dewalt...lol its like ur "special tool" u seem to use it in every instance...or find a way to at least ;)

i just did this exacto technique on an old dead P166 i had laying around, destroyed the blade but o well, its cool, thanks for the tip.
Sorry, no pics.

bubba gump said:
It wasnt my idea alone, its just that ive heard of people making old/dead p200 MMX's into keychains so ya i decided to do it with my dead 1600+ :)

And since i missed your first few posts Captain U, WELCOME TO THE BOARDS

thats a pretty expensive keychain eheh :)

bubba gump said:
Heheh, i knew chuck had a lot of dead cpu's and knew he made a keychain a while back so i was waitin for him to post in this :)

Glad to see the responses, and htat looked really clean Ken...might the ring go onto ur necklace? And whats with u and ur dewalt...lol its like ur "special tool" u seem to use it in every instance...or find a way to at least ;)

lol ,

I used to use a Dewalt at work everyday a long time ago. Now I am happy when I get to use it:D It has my keys on it now, pins and all:D

lol, I actually had a few people stop me in the hall and ask what that thing on my backpack was...i told htem and they gave me a wierd look....lol what a surprise, i didnt wanna tell em "im a geek so what?" coz i still like to keep a somewhat normal personality at school :rolleyes:

But ya, i thought it went on your necklace because the ring didnt look like it had hte loop part in which the rings wuold attach to....lol

bubba gump said:
lol, I actually had a few people stop me in the hall and ask what that thing on my backpack was...i told htem and they gave me a wierd look....lol what a surprise, i didnt wanna tell em "im a geek so what?" coz i still like to keep a somewhat normal personality at school :rolleyes:

But ya, i thought it went on your necklace because the ring didnt look like it had hte loop part in which the rings wuold attach to....lol

It is a normal key ring:D I guess it is just hidden under the chip.

Zerileous said:
i just did this exacto technique on an old dead P166 i had laying around, destroyed the blade but o well, its cool, thanks for the tip.
Sorry, no pics.

Hehe glad to help! Sorry that you broke the blade, none of shards got in ya right? Coz that wouldnt be good...lol i did tho when i was working on the last bit aroun the edges, still rotating I ended up sorta carving away at the blade! Theres a "hill" if you will halfway along the blade torwards the handle....

fiji said:

thats a pretty expensive keychain eheh :)

Yup, back when i bought it it was $65, little bugger as stated in my sig went to ~1900MHz, probably could have gone higher if I had unlocked it right...lol (180X10.5)

np on the exacto, the blades are cheep, its just the tip, every metal layer id loose a tiny fragment; in this chip there are maybee 4 metal layers, so no biggie.

Ooo, I got a few misc 486 chips I could do that to. A regular drill bit should work right? I know what I am doing after work tommorow :D

Back