• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soundstorm my @$$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zim2411

After my Audigy 2 was acting weird, i switched over to the Soundstorm audio on my mobo.
In splinter cell, when some one sees me that music kicks in. IT SOUNDS AWFUL! Its choppy, and any other sounds are choppy too. I can't even play the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe its my settings... its not my speakers cuz my audigy sure as hell didn't do it.

But everyone is saying "Audigy 2 sound quality!" Well it sure AINT

Yeah all I have read so far is people raving about the good sound quality of the Soundstorm... hope it's good because I've got an NF7-S coming in the mail and was hoping to ditch the Audigy.

Try the latest drivers from Nvidia. I had the same problem on an older Nforce 1 board. The audio on my NF7-S is better than my TBSC.

Zim2411 said:
I dont know what rev my NF7-S is... the first :p

when people rave about the soundstorm, 99% of the time they are talkings about asus's soundstorm. DONT confuse the two - asus customised their audio chips, which are better than any other nforce2 audio chips.

The ONLY similaritly between the two, is the fact that they can upsample true 5.1 doble digital (which is what "soundstorm" actually is). your nf7-s uses the standard nforce2 sound chip with "soundstorm". It's not the same thing.

james.miller said:

The ONLY similaritly between the two, is the fact that they can upsample true 5.1 doble digital (which is what "soundstorm" actually is). your nf7-s uses the standard nforce2 sound chip with "soundstorm". It's not the same thing.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=20&var2=0

As you can see, only three products have so far been given SoundStorm certification. No other products can claim SoundStorm support

Rojak Pot clears that up.

I should note that some nforce 2 boards use Realtek ALC650 audio chipsets. Not nVidia's own MCP-T APU. You have to read those motherboard specs very carefully before you buy one.

Last edited:
As someone already mentioned about overclocking... and if your Audigy was acting up... might be possible that the mobo is fried. Typically the PCI bus and / or Southbridge got damaged.

But install the lastest drivers and run that game again. BTW... there ARE new drivers that just got released this week for the nforce 2.

I just tried the Dolby Digital 5.1 upsample capability on my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe and my stereo receiver -- woah! Pretty cool stuff, true DD output with customizable channels. I have never done this before.

Can the Audigy 2 do this too?

lemme get an amen dog, my onboard sound aint great so i moved to an audigy 2 and it's fantastic :D! not that i think mine has soundstorm

shunx said:
I just tried the Dolby Digital 5.1 upsample capability on my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe and my stereo receiver -- woah! Pretty cool stuff, true DD output with customizable channels. I have never done this before.

Can the Audigy 2 do this too?

Nope. Sound Storm is the only one that can at the moment. I'm sure that will change at some point. Best you can get out of an audigy is to use 6 channel analog out.

Then for me, the Asus Soundstorm is more interesting than the Audigy 2 at the moment. The richness of the processed digital surround sounds is incredible, meaning the APU is great. It doesn't sound artificial, just natural music from each channel.

Strongly recommended for people with a digital receiver.

check and seewich boards are sound storm certified. all nforce 2 chipsets have it, but some are the audigy 2 quality, and some are worse than my jetway 333's onboard sound.

Back