• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

worth it to go from 9700pro to 9800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

Well is it? I have heard mixed reviews ranging from 3-4% improvement to over 20% difference and would like to get some input here. Anyone have one yet that have tested? Particularly If you had a 9700 pro before to campare too :D thanks all.

I suspect the 20% improvement is an "official ATI benchmark", and is just as meaningful as the official 100% improvement over the Ti4600. A 3% improvement sounds about right.

What games will the 9800 pro play that the 9700 wont...

Reality : NONE

9700 pro will play Doom III nicely and now its basically a matter of nice,nicer,nicest.

Thats why I purchased a 9500 pro in feb,the card can play any game on the market prollly for the next year or 2 .

AND when upgrading surrounding parts ( processor and ram) things will get only better with the 9700.:)

The overclockers mantra.....IIRC it's performance is god...or something like that....
But if you're talking from a value POV, get the 9700pro

i dont have a 9800pro but my 9700np will out oc most 9700pro and will run and benchmark and game at 9800pro speeds. 380/340

sooooo that being said the 9800pro will oc to 480/400 usually.
so best i could ever do is tie a 9800pro at stock speeds.oc the 9800pro i dont have a chance.

its only gonna be worth upgrading if ocing and benchmarking is your game.
other than that fps speed differances will only be noticable in a benhcmark.games shouldnt gain to much and definalty nothing noticable to the eye.

the 256mb version might be worth looking into tho.isnt gonna help speed much but will last ya longer over time.

im holding out for the 9900 256 myself.
my 9700np will serve me just fine till then.

If one has a 9700pro that can bench/game at 9800 pro stock speeds, can you flash the 9700pro bios into thinking that it's a 9800pro?

I heard that the 9800 pro has AA/AF tweaks in the bios.

why not get the best performing card "on the market"
the FX 5900 Ultra..
If u got the cash go for it!

why not get the best performing card "on the market"
the FX 5900 Ultra..

Best performing...maybe
Best Image quality...NOT

I would personally skip the 9800 series if you have a 9700 Pro already. Like already mentioned, you probably are not going to see any real difference in games. Well, unless you play on a 22" plus monitor at 200 refresh and some insane 4000x2000 resolution. :eek: :D

Well I already have a 9700 pro but it's been buggy since i've gotten it so I've been looking for something upgrade to. Yes I do play my games on 2xSony 21 inch trinitrons@2048x1536 so it definately helps ;)

Tw00sh said:

Best performing...maybe
Best Image quality...NOT

:D

Some advice to u...
Keeping quiet somtimes is best WHEN U DON"T KNOW WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT

I'm done with ATI

Lord Moreira said:

Some advice to u...

He *does* know what he's talking about...have you seen the AA on the 5900? It's terrible! Even at 8x AA, it's frickin blurry (and the jagged edges are still noticeable). Just hope nVidia fixes it with driver updates.

hello Detonator FX
Listen if this isn't a money thing just drop 499 on the best and the best is the 5900 ultra
ok?

there , u guys can say all u want but against facts there are no arguments...
Nvidia is done taking a nap

Lord Moreira said:

Some advice to u...

I'm done with ATI

I'd hold off on that. You may want to lsiten, the FX5800 has VERY POOR, BLURRY fsaa. And now it is coming to light that they aeew cheating in their drivers to attain higher benchmarks as well.

People seemed to ignore the fact that with highest grasphics settings, the R9800PRO DOUBLES the fps of the new NV5900ULTRA, while ati also has far superior image quality.

Now it seems they are winning the lower quality tests w/ hacked drivers that cheat in many benchmarks. I hope they get their act together soon...
I don't trust any large company, but Nvidia is seemingly putting out more BS than usual.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1086025,00.asp

Last edited:
Wangster said:
If one has a 9700pro that can bench/game at 9800 pro stock speeds, can you flash the 9700pro bios into thinking that it's a 9800pro?

I heard that the 9800 pro has AA/AF tweaks in the bios.
ive tryed this and i know it didnt work for me.
some say they have done it succesfully but had to under clock the card down from 9800 speeds to get it running.

is 2 things stopping the flash from working for most.
1 is the ram timeings in the 9800bios is way to much for the to handle.also could have something to do with that f-buffer the 9800 has.

i did try flashing mine and i got colored squares all over the screen.it just isnt worth it to me.heck its identified as a 9800pro 75% of the time anyhow due to my 9800pro drivers.25% of the time its identified as a 9700pro due to the bios.

unless you knew it my card could never be identified as a 9700np.
scary deal knowing some people out there are not honest.

Lord Moreira said:

Some advice to u...

I'm done with ATI

So, how much does NVidia pay you?

The problem with AA will hopefully be a bug with the drivers BUT if it isn't the benchies should be done equally.

First AF. There is no bug with NVidias AF, but 8x quality is a bit worse then ATIs 8x performance (comparisons have been done at reliable hardware review sites) unless the 5900 handle AF differently then the 5800 does which is very unlikely.

So set the 9800 pro to 8 x performance AF

Then AA. The 5900's AA quality actually makes the image look considerably worse! So I'd say the 9800 Pro wins ALL AA benchmarks by default. IF the problem with AA is a bug then we'll go with the comparisons of the 5800's AA vs the 9700's AA which was similar to AF. NVidias quality AA is a bit worse then ATIs performance.

So either yield ALL AA benchies or set the 9800 Pro to Performance.

Leaving the 5900U at quality like it was done at a lot of review sites and then setting the 9800P to performance 4x AA and 8x AF would quickly eat up the lead the 5900 ultra has over the 9800 Pro AND this is all assuming NVidias not trying to pull a fast one AGAIN with the blurry AA.

Get the AA fixed and the 5900 is a great card, but far from the 9800 pro killer some of the reviews would lead you to believe.

Back