• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tranferring hard drive to new pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RuffRyder88

I wasn't sure where to post tis, so ill just post it here.

I have a very old pc, running windows 95.
I am going to build a new pc, using my old dell XPS R350 as a base.

When i have finished building it, i want to install the old hdd into the new pc. Can i just install a fire it up? I thought maybe it wouldn't be possible because windows would be configured to all the old hardware, is this true?

If it is, is there a way around it?
I Can't reinstall evrything as some software is very complex to install and configure (some invoicing software) and i basically cant do it, and no one else can. Therefore, i either find a way to just use the hdd as is, or i don't upgrade. I really ned to upgrade as this p1 166 is too slow.

I really hope some one can help.

As long as all the new hardware is supported in Win95 in >Theory> you should be able to just move the drive over. I would make sure to have all my stuff on the old drive backed up first though. and your Win95 disk and driver disks handy when you start it up

Technically Windows 95 should just redetect all the hardware. But all too often "Plug-N-Play" actually means "Plug-N-Pray". You're best bet is to backup what you need on the hard drive then format and reinstall.

When the data is vital it's best to just buy another drive.

Use the new drive as the master and the old one as the slave. Most software that was made for win95 wasn't dependant on the registry so you should still be able to run it from the slave drive.

that was my other idea, to just buy another hard drive, and run the old software of the old one as a slave.

However, i think this software runs in dos, does this make any difference?

I also wanted to upgrade to windows 98 (be it a fresh install, or an upgrade after 95 was installed), could i still run the software of the slave?

It all depends on whether this "vital software" we're talking about writes registry keys or not.

If it doesnt, then you're gold...just buy a new hard drive, run the second hard drive as slave, and you should be able to just run the programs as before.

You *could* just move the hard drive to the new computer. As stated, it's *supposed* to work. The copy of windows95 on the old hard drive *should* auto-detect all of the new hardware. However, most of us don't trust windows that much :D

Here's another idea:
Can you just keep the old computer around for the specific purpose of running this software? And build a new computer for all of your other tasks?

Hell, buy a new computer and some better easy to use invoicing software :p

I'd say build a new PC for your other needs, and slap a new hard drive in that one too... Then just use that for whatever, and use your old PC for the invoicing

1st thing is to backup.
Your main concern will be the chipset and busmaster drivers...If you plan on using the same peripherals, then all you need to worry about is the mobo drivers...like they all said, win (95 especialy) isn't too reliable when it comes to redetecting stuff, but on occaision I have transferred old hdd's to new mobo's..in which case, I remove the busmaster (mass storage controler) and the chipset drivers, BUT DO NOT RESTART...instead shutdown and make the switch. Have your win95 disk handy and any new drivers for the mobo and any new parts you plan on using.
Oh BTW, Did they/we mention to backup 1st?
I do want to mention that I only remove the previous drivers to avoid conflicts...but most of the time it is not nessesary....especialy if the chipset is intel.

Thanks for all your help guys, but i managed to contact the guy who acually tailored and installed the software, so he's going to help me out..... Thank God!!!
Neway, I think i am going to just build a second pc, as there were only a few parts i was going to salvage from the old pc, and the software is being updated anyway.

Once again thanx for the help.

Back