• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700pro worth the $$?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent Z

all i here about is the 9700 pro..i am saving for a new vid card and i want to get one to last for a long time but i do not want to pay loads of cash.....
help?

Not for an XP 1700 its not. Go for a 9500 Pro...it will make a much more balanced system and you wont waste the extra cash on something you cant take full advantage of

I'm in the same boat and also looking at the 9700 Pro with an XP1700 system. Now, i'm planning on eventually upgrading my processor but don't want to sink another couple hundred into a video card to make it "in sync".

I'm just wondering if there is that big of a difference between the 9500 Pro and 9700 Pro.

If you have the money for the FIC 9700 np at newegg then get it. I'd say they are equal values bang for the buck wise. With the 9700 it will run things at higher res/detail/quality settings but isn't that much faster that its going to last you an extra generation of cards. I don't think the 9700 is going to last you all that much longer then the 9500 pro, so that leaves with this:

If you want to run your games at higher res and settings and have the money go with the FIC 9700 and O/C it to 9700 pro speeds. If you don't have the money then get the 9500 pro. Your games will still look great and the card will last you a while.

No body can tell you which card is better for you unless you are more specific then "what card is better."

There is tons of information in this forum. I suggest you guys use the search function to get some general information on both cards and then ask the more specific questions that result from that information.

Every penny. I went from a Ti4600 and I never regretted it. It's a fantastic card that'll do anything you ask it to. I run all my games at 1280x1024 with max/near-max details and AA/AF without a prob.

~THT

uggg,
well i am upgrading my pc during the summer..so i will have time to think about the video card dilema until then...

Evnas said:
Not for an XP 1700 its not. Go for a 9500 Pro...it will make a much more balanced system and you wont waste the extra cash on something you cant take full advantage of

who's to say he's never going to upgrade his CPU. I figure you should buy the best vid card you can, as you would expect it to last longer...

timmyqwest said:

who's to say he's never going to upgrade his CPU. I figure you should buy the best vid card you can, as you would expect it to last longer...

He does not want to pay loads of cash. Hell, I'd suggest the ATI 9600 Pro with that system. Like Evnas said, it's not going to utalize a 1700+ anyways, so the performance difference is minute.

For the cash, get the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. (He'll get it and like it. Leave it at that :p)

I think these cards are worth every penny. I burned over two weeks pay on my card, and I must say I couldn't be happier. Everything looks so good! And there's excellent driver support now for ATI cards

<3 my 9700 don't have to worry about craptactic graphics, but if your not upgrading til summer then keep an eye on a 9800 pro as they might start goin on sale for like $350 at bb and i would just go ahead and get that if it came down to that price..

yes i am taking back my geforec 4.. and going back to my Ati AIW 7500...whic i will say provides Craptecular graphics....
but i will either get the 9700pro or the 9800pro....

Hrm maybe the 9700pro wouldn't be worth it now with your current processor but assuming you upgrade that at some point during the time you own your 9700pro then I would say the 9700 is not a waste of money at all.

Abra_Volta said:
I'm in the same boat and also looking at the 9700 Pro with an XP1700 system. Now, i'm planning on eventually upgrading my processor but don't want to sink another couple hundred into a video card to make it "in sync".

I'm just wondering if there is that big of a difference between the 9500 Pro and 9700 Pro.

The Radeon 9500 Pro is just a crippled 9700 Pro without the 256 bit ****zle, replacing that with 128 bit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

steve75382 said:
The Radeon 9500 Pro is just a crippled 9700 Pro without the 256 bit ****zle, replacing that with 128 bit. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The 9500Pro also has lower core and memory clock speeds: 275 vs 325 (core) and 270 vs 310 (memory)

Agent Z said:
Yeah..why is it that my processor affects how the card works?
i don't understand

The components in your computer are only as fast as your slowest component. Sooo... you could get an 9500 Pro, or an 9700 Pro, or a 9800 Pro, and they will all perform about the same with that CPU.

I would have to disagree with the remark about components being only as fast as your slowest component.

If you crank up the pain levels (AA/AF) You bet a 9700/9800 pro is going to endure while the 9500s will not cut it.

Wangster

Disagree or not, it's the truth. I don't believe that the performance will be that much greater with a CPU that slow. All new video cards are CPU limited.

Edit: Computers are as slow as the slowest component. What do you think bottlenecks are?

I agree that a 9700 Pro will perform "a bit" better, but no where near it's potential. Heck, the fastest CPU out today is not fast enough and is still limiting the VideoCard.

ohh ok...
well i am planing an upgrade but i do not know what Mobo to get or processor..intel or AMD?

Back