• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flat tubing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AcEmAsTr

wouldn't flat tubing, wel.. almost flat disperse the heat that comes off the CPU better than round stuff?
its difficult to describe but if its rounded, all the water will be insulating all the other water and causing it to keep the heat in, if its a flat, like 'run' for the water to run down at pressure, wouldn't the heat be dispensed quicker and simpler?
_ __ /_|_____________________| _\
_ _ / _|_____________________| __\ ___________
___)__|_____________________| __(____________- To Rad
___)__|_____________________| __(____________
___\__|_____________________| __/
___ \ _|_____________________| _/
____ \ |_____________________| /
Quite wide so a large volume of water can fit through.

By the time the water has gone thru this, the temp is already down and the rad would cool it even more.

BTW, it wouldn't be tubing if it was flat now would it, didnt know what i could call it lol

*edit Damn that diagram was dificult!!!

Last edited:
I understand what you attempting here.

Some radiators & heater cores actually do this.

Water is "dumped" into the top tank through a 1/2" or whatever size
hole, pressurized, then down through "Flat" tubes.
This helps create a larger surface area, for cooling.

as far as the tubing between H2O block/rad/pump/res...
it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

The hose is used to just transfer water between those items.
not to cool the water. That's the rad/ HC's job.

However if you used flat copper tubing with thin walls, built-in turbulators, external fins and a pump sufficient to push the water through all that restrictive tubing you could get a significant amount of "free" cooling from the airflow in your case.;)

AcEmAsTr said:
or u could just buy another rad :p

LOL, what he said, hehe, much easier, but I'm lazy (even though I spent 14 hours in my dad's shop milling waterblocks :p )

I don't think flat tubing would make that much of a difference, afterall, it's not the tubing that dissipates your heat, it's the radiator. Flat tubing would absolutely kill your flowrate.

Flat tubes are used in radiators not because they dissipate heat better, but because it's an easier shape to work with when soldering flat folded fins to it. You can also make them out of two thin sections of metal ribbon instead of an extruded tubing that's squooshed flat, dropping cost even more.
Another advantage would be to make more waterpaths across the airflow without hindering the airflow too much. Just think of what the heatercore would need in the way of a fan if there were 30 pcs of 1/2" round tubing through the fin area. You'd have to use a blower, cause a fan wouldn't have the air pressure to push through it. 30 is a light number too, my core has 51 flat tubes, arranged in 3 rows.

Besides, just think of how hard it would be to route flat tubing through your case, it only bends in two directions, and not 360 degrees. Fittings would be ugly too.

Back