• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the neoprene cpu shim necessary for chilled water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sickofthelies

Disabled
I made a couple out of the thinnest neoprene i have and every time the temps would rapidly rise, so im going to assume that the heatsink isnt making contact with the cpu (without the shim and insulation, regular uncooled water, no additives (yet) i had 22* good or no good?). Do i need this shim or can i just take it off? What should i do?

Thanks.

--Morgan--

im not positive, but you shouldnt need anything actually on the cpu for insulation. the air space will be very very small. you are probably right, it probably prevents contact with the core. just insualte very well around the chip, and in the socket, that sort of stuff, and you should be fine. does someone with some real experience with this have any input?

"water condensating over bridges =BAD"

If i have dielectric grease over the chip, and as:c on the die, then wouldnt it prevent condensation. There wouldnt be much air if any.

any air there, would form water. With the grease on it then it might be ok, but i'll leave that to the people that know more.

Well is the neoprene easily compressable? Like if you apply more force to your block it would compress the neoprene till it was smaller and the WB would touch the core. BE CAREFUL. Dont tightebn the WB on TOO hard. And also make suer it has contactt with the core..

but any amount of air there WILL form water like sandman said. Even if your bridges are covered the water can roll off and cause other problems. Its a good idea just to do it and dotn skimp.

Well... The swiftech5000 is very weird. At a certain point of tightening it, the spring gets compressed or something so it actually starts moving up and away from the processor. I dunno why it does this but it does...

Back