• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts on this Waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My main concern is price. I'm not looking for the ultimate. Whatever I get should be better than air, right?

...that's what I'm worried about....

I can upgrade individual parts to the water circuit later, and I can use it on all future CPU's I get... unlike heatsinks, which are all getting bigger, and louder.

-Frank

After looking at the price I would check out a few other blocks. I prefer copper myself, I've heard bad things about mixing two different metals in one system, since I have a copper heater core that leaves me with little choice. Try looking at the maze waterblocks, they seem cheap.

a c i d.f l y said:
My main concern is price. I'm not looking for the ultimate. Whatever I get should be better than air, right?

...that's what I'm worried about....

I can upgrade individual parts to the water circuit later, and I can use it on all future CPU's I get... unlike heatsinks, which are all getting bigger, and louder.

-Frank
Well no, the best air coolers beat the worst water coolers
Where that block is in the mix I don’t know but the designee of that block doesn't look good / it mixes the fresh in flowed water with the older warmed water and its surface area is minimal with no paths or fins this doesn't mean its bad, like I said before I don't know where that block stands but for cheap there are many kits around $100 and if your ok with tools you can fab most of the needed parts like adding barbs to a auto zone heater core and drill / mill a block from copper ect. if you want to go that route let me know I have a right up on it

The Maze blocks are $40 whilst this one is $30. And more than likely, I will be getting a large heatercore that are all alluminum. There was a decent one I saw that was solid copper for $32, but it was discontinued... damn the bad luck...

...I'll keep on looking.

-Frank

my copper heatercore was about $15 @ napa, just ask @ the parts store if you can have a look through their heatercores, they shouldn't have a problem with that. I'd stay away from that block, or any other block that isn't copper. if you're going to go with a cheap watercool system with aluminum components don't expect to have temps that much lower than high end aircooling, as Stedeman said. High end aircooling overlaps low end watercooling.

That block has been out for some time. It was actually previewed in the forums about a year ago and briefly discussed. Besides the obvious concern over being made from aluminum, the biggest issue, as I recall, was the fact that centrifugal force would benefit the outside wall while not giving enough benefit to the center post. As you all know, the greatest heat concentration occurs in the center, right above the core. Though it was discussed, I never heard from anyone who actually tried it out.

Hoot

Back