• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Single vs double sided DDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Samoyed

I have a problem in that my 2 memory modules wont work together but do work individually. Both have 4 ICs on each side of the module. Epox tech says that to use more than 1 module they have to be "single sided" modules. God forbid that they should have included this info in the manual or anywhere on the website. I guess mine are double sided.

Anyone know WTF single sided means? I dont see any reference to the term anywhere at New Egg when ordering ram. Is there another term or designation for this type of ram?

Is there a BIOS setting I can use that will make both modules work?

What they mean by single sided is that the chips are only on one side of the PCB. I don't think that should matter, though, unless they manufactured them to work that way, in which case it would be silly.

Last edited:
No one knows??????? This is a board of braniacs and I expect an answer!!

nerdlogic knew :)

just look at them, if you have chips on both sides of the PCB then it is double sided...but I would of thought pretty much everything now supported it - what memory modules are they and what motherboard do you have?

The 2 modules and MB r in my sig. Dunno why epox said the board needed "single side". Weird.

Does the mb see double sided as 2 modules?

Samoyed said:
No one knows??????? This is a board of braniacs and I expect an answer!!

Thanks for ignoring me. I knew. Please do not start underestimating me because I am a girl.

Oh, and the modules will only be recognized as one, I think but Thelemac says that they might see it as two modules... suggesting there are only two slots on the board?

P.S. It's spelled brainiacs. ;)

Last edited:
a) Nerdy knows what she's on about here. It's pretty rude to just ignore a right answer like that.

b) The reason that is has to do with how the memory is addressed on single sided and double sided DIMMs. That doesn't mean that it isn't silly that they do it that way.

I didnt ignore you nor did I know U were a female. I had already figured that single sided meant that the ICs were on one side. I need to know if the MB "sees" that as 2 modules or reacts to it in some different manner that makes my 2 modules not work together.

See if u know this question:

Why do my 2 modules work individually but not together?

Note that Epox said they need to be "single sided" modules. Mine are not.

What about double sided ram would make it not work in pairs on this board?

Samoyed said:
I didnt ignore you nor did I know U were a female. I had already figured that single sided meant that the ICs were on one side. I need to know if the MB "sees" that as 2 modules or reacts to it in some different manner that makes my 2 modules not work together.

See if u know this question:

Why do my 2 modules work individually but not together?

Note that Epox said they need to be "single sided" modules. Mine are not.

What about double sided ram would make it not work in pairs on this board?

Well, I am not sure but it has to do with the way the memory addresses the chips. Which means you should read Thelemac's answer because there it is.

nerd>>>P.S. It's spelled brainiacs. <<

It's also spelled "retarded" but U did correct it.:)

Last edited:
Back