• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sata raid turned to poop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

Cant figure out what has happened to my sata raid0. When I set up my system for its final configuration about 6 weeks ago, I tested 51000 in sisoft using a 16k stripe.
Now for some reason my score has dropped to 33500. So today I tryed different htp374 bios's and drivers, all give about the same score.
What happened? Should I be concerned.

btw. My HDtach score have dropped slighty

Updated sisoft and did a defrag. Now im getting 29000 :(
Maybe my hpt374 chip has ndns and is slowing down.

Sandra is known for giving inconsistant and/or misleading drive benchmark results, particularly for IDE RAID systems. My best scores come when the system is fresh, stripe size set to 16k, and the BIOS and driver version must match. After using the system for a while, the benchmarks go down. I would go with another benchmark program for hard drives.

I had just enough room to ghost over my sata raid to one of my 60gb drives. I deleted the 16k stripe and changed to a 32k stripe, I then ghosted back the data.
I score 49000 in sisoft, thats around where it should be for the hpt374.
In hdtach im down to about 36000m/s ave read- 4%cpu usage,
where as the old 16k stripe yeild 52000m/s ave read- 15%cpu usage.

I might stay with the 32k stripe. Maybe thats the best bet? lose some speed but save on cpu usage. Don't know why I would want to do that since I have already got plenty of cpu to go round- 3ghz.

current hpt374 bios - v3.01
current hpt372 driver - v3.02 <---needed since this stops the sound glitch when drives are accessed during audio play back.

My scores are a little low. I feel that is because the hpt374 is only an 133ata chip, the signal from the sata drives are converted back to ata singal by way of marvel sata to ata converter chips. I also suspect the sound card imcompatibility with the hpt374 reduces performance slighty to marginal.

Last edited:
Back