• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer DOA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dubbin1

I think my dads computer might be DOA. It is a pos compaq 900MHz athlon. When you push the button to start it nothing happens so the first thing I did was replace the PS with a known good one and that didn't help so I unplugged all of the drives, changed the memory, checked the power button, replaced the power cord, tried a different wall outlet, removed all the PCI cards and AGP card and still nothing. I'm thinking a bad MB but I thought I would try to get some advice from you pro's before I go any further. I guess what I am asking is where do I look next? I would hate to call my dad and tell him that he is sol.

sounds like you've done some serious troubleshooting already. through all of these steps, you still got NOTHING? not a fan spinning or anything?

PSU would be my first thought, but you've ruled that out. you said you checked the power button...

I'm thinking you've probably got a dead motherboard.

I did forget to mention that when you first plug the cord in the fans start spinning like normal then they shut off. This has always done it since the computer was new and I had a computer at one time that did that.

Did you unplug EVERYTHING from the motherboard? Did you try cleaning everything out as well? It could be that something knocked loose or something. Sometimes small things like that could cause shorts and not allow your system to start up.

did you try swapping out the cpu? IT could also be that. Also, if you push the power button, and don't hear any beeps, it's the mobo. If you take out the cpu and try to boot up, you should still hear a series of beeps saying that your computer can't find the cpu. If you don't hear any beeps and you know the speaker cables are plugged in correctly, it's definitely your mobo.

Back