• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 waterblocks with standard retention

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NookieN

I'm just curious if anyone knows off-hand which P4 waterblocks use the standard P4 retention mechanism. I know the Swiftech MCW5000 does. Most others appear to use mounting holes though.

Silverprop (in australia) have a p4 block that uses a custom mount that attaches to the factory plastic mobo base bracket.

Innovatek does as well.

Why would this be an issue, by the way? The mounting holes seem to work quite well and frankly I see no benefits from using the plastic holder.

cmdrjay4 said:

ease of use!!

Well I think the plastic clip design is not the greatest. It is hard to remove a HS and putting it on is also not the smoothest experience (risk of smudging the thermal paste), because you have to hassle with those clips.

The plastic holder can be taken out easily, and then you can use a proper set of bolts & wingnuts... much easier IMHO.

Thanks, I'll look into those.

I know most hardcore watercoolers would prefer to use the mounting holes. But for the project I'm putting together I don't feel like removing the board and taking off the bracket.

if you are going to "set it and forget it" :D
then its ok to take the board out to change the wb or heatsink

but if you're like me (swapping parts all the time) you don't want to have to do that!!
i'll never get one that needs that!!

I wouldn't trust the plastic P4 retention with any decently sized copper waterblock. I've already had one break on me and have since stuck with the mounting holes.

- edit - I also just dremel out a hole in the mobo tray itself for access to the screws on backside of mobo.

NookieN said:
I'm just curious if anyone knows off-hand which P4 waterblocks use the standard P4 retention mechanism. I know the Swiftech MCW5000 does. Most others appear to use mounting holes though.

Why do you need to know?

same here, my last new cpu & mobo (1.8a & P4G8X) had served me for 2 months, and i'm putting in a new set tomorow! even if i keep the mobo for longer period of time (most likely), i still swapping cpu very often. therefore, i'll need something every easy to mount. i'm using a Innovatek wb, and to be honest, the Innovatek wb & stock Intel hs is the easier thing i've ever mount onto a cpu!!! all it'll need is put on top of the cpu, and flip 2 clips.

i too thinking of a new setup, but looking for something using stock bracket.......mobo hole mount is the late choice if i have to.

Re: Re: P4 waterblocks with standard retention

Epox said:

Why do you need to know?

This question was asked and answered already. Please read the whole thread before replying and contribute only if you have information to share. :-/

Re: Re: Re: P4 waterblocks with standard retention

FIZZ3 said:

This question was asked and answered already. Please read the whole thread before replying and contribute only if you have information to share. :-/
he's banned from the forum already, disregard his post. ;)

Re: Re: Re: Re: P4 waterblocks with standard retention

LandShark said:

he's banned from the forum already, disregard his post. ;)

Yeah noticed that when I checked out his profile after reading another annoying spam post. Good job @ mods. :)

personally I also tweak a lot, and can't think of anything easier than bolts and nuts. As long as you have them mounted right so you don't need to take the MB out it's all good.

Back