• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just finished new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

carmello22

I just finished putting together a new system for my girlfriend's parents. Here are the specs:

Raidmax 350w Mid-Tower Black
Abit BH-7 i845PE DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, LAN, Serial ATA
Intel Pentium 4 Processor (Northwood) 2.4BGHz, 533MHz FSB
Kingston HyperX Memory 512mb PC2700
Western Digital 80GB Harddrive w/ 8mb cache
ATI Radeon 7500 64mb DDR 4xAGP Video Card
Liteon 16x DVD Black
Mitsumi 3.5" Floppy Drive
Logitech Cordless Elite Duo Keyboard & Mouse
HP officejet v40 print/fax/scan/copy
NEC/MITSUBISHI MultiSync 17" MONITOR Black
Creative Labs CAMBRIDGE Sound Works SW320 PC Speakers

I know some of the parts aren't what everyone would recommend, but they really don't do anything but check aol. Plus they wanted me to save $ were i could, so i compromised on some of the parts.

I'll check back tomorrow after I've had some time to play w/ it. At the very least I'm hoping to hit 3ghz on air and default volt.

Finished installing all the software at default speeds, lets see what this baby can do. I just decided to go for my minimum goal of 3ghz w/ no volt increase and intel hsf and no joy. I got to windows and then reboot. Maybe I'm was being a little to ambitious, but I'm close. Increased the volt by 5% and guess what I've been stable since last night running sandra's burn in.

2.4b x 167fsb = 3006 @ 1.58 volts

I'll keep pushing and check back again. Just a side not, what does everyone think about the parts that I skimped on to save $ b/c I'm going to do another rig soon for my brother and he wants basically the same thing.

a bit too much for aol..i woulda reccommended an e-machines *i know* because they might want a warranty etc

To surf the web and etc, that system is overkill. For light gaming, surfing, and things of that sort I would recommend a AMD Athlon XP 1700+ system, even if you don't get a TB-B core. With that powerful RAM and Processor, I would of forked out the extra 30 or so to get a Radeon 8500LE or Geforce 3 Ti-500 (nice price here: http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=184_227&products_id=1794 ). And maybe on the speakers I'd go for Logitech Z-640's or 340's.

The_Punisher29 said:
it's only 10$ :eek: :eek:

Is it a cheap brand !?!

Yep, there is a thread in cyber deals about power supplies and there are 3 cheap ones.

I needed a cheap case and since they didn't have but one hd and a dvd I went w/ the raidmax case/psu from newegg. As for over kill, I went w/ the p4 2.4b b/c people that don't know anything about computers go to places like dell and see that they use p4's, so that is what they wanted and got. O/cing is just for me to play w/.

Just played w/ it some more and it looks like i'm topping out around 3.15ghz. I probably could go a little higher, but didn't want to push to hard considering it isn't my rig and it would be a little embarrasing trying to explain how i broke their new computer. Anothing thing is i think the ram might be reaching its limits.

Back