• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7 -- Reassurance please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goateh

Hey, yes as the topic quotes im looking for some reassurance about this board.

I am already to buy one as soon as I sell my current board (should be tomorrow :D). I have how ever heard some bad things about this.. which im not to sure about..

Such as some memory hole ?
Someone about a useless Rj-45 connector on the back ?
Overall o/c stability ?

I know this may seem like a trivial waste of time, but I would like to here from Any Abit-IC7 owners (i don't intend on getting the ic7-G). I do not wish to turn into a "Get this board, not that one :argue:" thread.. so please.. IC7 owners or people that can offer some constructive thoughts etc .. thanx heaps ^_^

:sn:

Well, i don't think my fsb will be going quite as high as 275 ... but cheers ^_^

the regular IC7 doesn't have onboard NIC, only the IC7-G does..

for me it's very stable when overclocked..

it's running my 2.4c at 280MHz FSB (3360MHz) right now at 1.55v!! (it undervolt. a bit full load, so i give it a tab more juice to bring it at stock level when under 100% load) however, it's only my SETI cruncher and i'm re-using my old Muskin PC2700 from my old cruncher, therefore, with better memory (in a week), it could go higher.

yes, i've also heard some owner said they hit like a "brick wall" at 275FSB, and i was worried too, but now, i'm more than happy especially it's pretty much the cheapest canterwood board out there and doesn't slim on features!

the ethernet jack at the back is useless and not working since it's a IC7, non-G, version, means it doesn't have Intel's GigNet on it. but not a big deal for me for my $5 linksys NIC.

The IC7 desperately needs a BIOS update to fix a couple minor bugs, but Abit is working on that. Some people, myself included, seem to have trouble running higher than 275 FSB. Lots of other people seem to be having better luck. Another guy on the forum hit 287 FSB with his. The voltage regulator on my IC7 is the best I've ever seen. Rock solid power rails and vcore with no fluctuation at all. The BIOS is chock full of settings and is a tweakers dream (even though a few of the settings need a BIOS fix). I like mine and have no intention of getting rid of it. I'm currently working on a few tricks to try and get it running at a higher FSB. If that don't work, I might try a different CPU (maybe a 2.6C or 2.8C).

So can it support a celly 2.0 without upgrading the bios?Or you don't need to?

You can ahve the celeron running at 400 FSB.. the IC7 supports 400

Supports Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 processors with 800/533/400 MHz FSB

^^ from abit.com.tw

I haven''t tried a Celly, but I've ran 3 different P-4 Northies in my IC7 so far... a 2.0A/400 (ran at default speed and all the way up to 3.4 gig), a 2.66/533 (o/c to 3.26 gig), and a 2.4C/800 (3.3 gig at 275 FSB).

I just installed one yesterday with a week 11 2.6c, so far I'm pretty happy with the results: 3452 at default voltage. The one complaint I have is that manually setting timings for ram doesn't seem to be working, no matter what I set it to, it drops out to 2.5 7 3 3. With better memory or working manual settings, I'm pretty sure the 2.6 has a little more headroom.

Hopefully Abit will get this corrected with a new bios revision soon.

Hey what kinda memory timings/dividers this board(IC7) has?

And what is the best stepping for 2.4C?

rmonster... that RAM timing thing is a known BIOS problem. Update to BIOS version 1.1 and you'll be ok.

skitZo`... for the 800 "C" CPUs, the memory ratios are 1:1, 5:4, and 3:2.

j2me_tech... there is only one stepping for the 800 "C" CPUs and that's D1. For the 2.4C, the SL6WF code you mentioned is the S-spec.

Goateh... looks like most of the IC7 mobos people are getting now are going above 275 FSB. The "brick wall" might of been a bug in the early production of the IC7.

1 question!!

what's you guys' setting in BIOS (mainly advance setting) after you've flashed to bios 11?? it seems that there's certain setting either not working or will result of lock up when booting.....

I hit the wall at 275 with a 5:4 ratio and just to try it I went 3:2 and it boots at stock voltage all the way to 285 now and will do 290 @ 1.675v. huh? seems like a timing issue with the mem possibly? oh yeah two 512 sticks of xms3500... So far it's a great board and with a bios rev or two it should be right there with the best of em ;)

Nomjr said:
I hit the wall at 275 with a 5:4 ratio and just to try it I went 3:2 and it boots at stock voltage all the way to 285 now and will do 290 @ 1.675v. huh? seems like a timing issue with the mem possibly? oh yeah two 512 sticks of xms3500... So far it's a great board and with a bios rev or two it should be right there with the best of em ;)

when did you buy the mobo?

as early as batboy and me?

I think batboy got his from newegg...the first batch from them.
I got mine from the first batch at googlegear.

mica

I'm still happy with a 2.4b sl6rz on this board running 188fsb. Sandra memory scores around 4500....This will do me fine for awhile untill I can sneak a C chip under the wife's nose,lol.:D

batboy said:
skitZo`... for the 800 "C" CPUs, the memory ratios are 1:1, 5:4, and 3:2.

[/B]

Thanx batboy, was wondering are these ratios the same if youre using a 533 CPU on the board?

And hey does anyone knows where can i find the P4C800 non deluxe version.

Thanx.

Back