• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Ghost to back up Win2k & WinXP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbq

Hi all,

I need to help a buddy do a full backup for his company before they move to a new location.

So with that being said, there are a total of 10 servers (all raid I think) & it is a combo of win2k & Winxp & an exchange server or two.

What would be the best way to make backups of the drives within the servers?

Basically there are no tape drives or CDRW's or any other back up method & they want to use IDE drives to do ghost image backups until they get around to a normal type of backup.

Would that work OK? Using a ghost floppy for that purpose? Would it save all data & everything?

I appreciate any responses.

-T

With a little setup, you could run a ghost server on one machine, and boot the other servers off of the ghost boot disk, and do a disk dump across the network. It would save you installing harddrives in all the servers.

Be sure to test the backups.

Also, I have had issues with Ghost supporting RAID for restores...
My advise get them a tape drive and software to backup properly or DON'T TOUCH the servers... If there was a problem and data is lost, you do NOT want to be part of that!

Back