• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat Questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White Star

So, I'm running a T-Bird 900mhz...@ 900mhz. *Hangs head in shame* My processor seems to run hotter than I think would be good for it. I was just wondering what a good running temperature is. When I boot up my computer for the first time in the morning I can go into the BIOS and watch the heat go up. When it's just sitting there in the BIOS watching the temp, it settles down at about 120f. After a while of playing games I can reboot, go into the bios and it's hanging out around 134ish f. This seems like it's pretty hot to me. What does everyone else think? Right now I've got a low profile full copper heatsink w/ fan. Another trouble with heat is that I'm running a Voodoo 5 5500. The blue orbs on it help with heat somewhat, but a lot of the heat escapes from the back of the processor where there are no heatsinks. If anyone has any ideas on how to deal with that, I'd be open to hearing them.

Your Thunderbird doesn't seem to be running too hot. I remember I had a 1.33GHz Thunderbird one time and it idled at 45C. Tbirds are known to run hot. The cpu temperature was lowered somewhat when I put a black label 60mm Delta fan on my heatsink. I was using a Taisol CGK760092 at that time.

134 F is about 56 C. This is certainly within normal limits. You could put a better heatsink and fan on the cpu and get a few degrees cooler, but there would probably not be much benefit.

As said above, 56C is not cool, but it won't cause the CPU to die.
Also there's no real point in getting a decent cooler as even if you get the temps down, overclocking a 900 Tbird on prolly a KT133 mobo won't benefit you much, if at all. I think you shouldn't worry about it and save up some cash for a new mobo+ram+cpu+cooler

What? Nobody likes my T-Bird? :) I've had some pretty bad experiences with the Palominos, so I haven't bothered to upgrade. This runs all of the games that I want just dandy. Though I'm thinking it'll be time for an upgrade once Half-Life 2 hits the shelves.
So what is a temp that I would be warranted in being worried about when I reach it? I may do some overclocking with this CPU again in the future, but I'm always worried about heat. I had it up to 1.1ghz at one point in time but that was for a very brief period because, you guessed it, I was paranoid about burning it out.

from what ive read and what ive seen youll definately be fine. ive seen an athlon 1.4 at somewhere around 90~95ºC and from what ive been told they can take up to 125ºC

GG AMD!!

Well even though it won't seems to be like not too hot it is too how. You always have chance to reduce it by various ways. Try to put some addtional fans. Well even though I've done it in my machine I'm having a bad time my pro is too hot to be still it's 56C when in full workload and even in the idle time! I think it might be a mobo a prob andyway I'm trying to upgrade to a good cpu cooler rather than the cooler masters default cooler.
You may want to upgrade the pro but keep doing all the experiment in that one before moving to the new pro and learn by burning it!:mad:

Back