• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can I find colored keyboards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiseass

In particular a red one with red keys, etc.

I know Alienware has some custom colored keyboards that they sell with their pcs, but I've looked all over and can't find colored ones. I'm not looking for anything fancy, I don't need one of them split natural keyboards, don't need any extra buttons, just want a standard 101-key, but in red if possible.

no way! I was on directron's site this morning! WTF?!?!?!?

/em bashes head against keyboard

Probably didn't have enough coffee heh

Thanks for the link :p

I just spent a while looking for one with red keys too, not much luck, I did find this wireless Red Keybord w/black keys

There is another alternative to painting.... you can buy a red keyboard, then buy clear keys to replace the black ones with (assuming you can't find red ones cauase I've looked and couldn't find any) But before putting the clear keys back on you can line the inside of the keyboard with some
El Cable
or
El-Tape
that way even though the keys themselves might not be red they would glow red, would be a sweet custom job, somewhat time consuming, but definately rewarding cause alllighted keyboards I've seen are blue ;)

Heres a link to a forum thread about keyboard modding if you're interested http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166255&highlight=keyboard+wire

you got me thinking about modding mine now, I need to buy a new keyboard anyways, this ones been cleaned over and over, its 5 years old and I want a new one =)

This is from that other thread and I found it helpful so:
The EL wire from walmart comes with the inverter. Remember Walmart Neons and EL wire are found in the automotive department and are wired for 12v cig lighter. Anyone who knows anything about PSU's knows you have both a 12v and 5v line at your desposal (what a wonderful thing cars and computers use the same DC voltages).

There's really not much to the keyboard mod.

1.) Remove screws
2.) Disassemble right down to the tray that lies beneith the keys. In my natural keyboard there was a channel just big enough for the EL cable
3.) Run the EL cable COMPLETELY through the keyboard without any glue FIRST, make sure you know where you're going and that you're starting in the right place!
4.) CUT EL CABLE AT YOUR OWN RISK, I've never done that and have no idea the repercussions.
5.) Most reviews you'll read say use superglue. Anyone thats anyone as clumsy as I knows superglue only ends up causing the loss of finger usage for a few days
6.) USE HOT GLUE! HOT GLUE IS GREAT! just be sure not to rest the gun on the EL CABLE.
7.) I used one dab of hot glue around turns and a very dabs on striaght aways to keep the cable down
8.) let dry
9.) reassemble
10.) Wire molex connector as seen in pics below
12.) MAKE SURE YOU USE THE 12V (yellow I think it is) and 12V GROUND, don't use 5v or 5v ground or mix and match.

NOTES: ditch the fuse, learn as you go. I didn't need to drill a single thing. I went to radio shack and bought connectors and ran the cable through the holes in my lian-li and just used connectors for the molex wires.

I don't have pics from the keyboard mod I did, it was one of my firsts and I forgot to keep track. I did however take some pics of the wire job for the walmart neons (which were wired exactly the same way:

this is a shot of the molex connection

this is a really good shot of how to determine what to solder to what, BE SURE to look for the "+" on the pbc of the inverter, the cable with the + goes to the 12v yellow and the other is the ground.

sorry if this is garbled, its too early to be writing these things but I understand the anxiety to get going. Just to warn you, this keyboard mod took me a long time to do, it requires tremendous patience and some natural keyboards are extremely difficult to get back together (due to mass amounts of screws and plates, etc.

EDIT: PLEASE NOTE, the Walmart EL cables invert will be in a black box, not a cig lighter case as seen above. You have to open the box to determine/be sure you are wiring 12v to the "+" and the ground to the non-"+"

GOOD LUCK!

I checked with www.datacal.com and was told they didnt handle single orders, and that they dont have any with all red (or green) keycaps to match the keybaord. Ive been looking for an "anodized" green keyboard so looks like ill be painting my own also.

Back