• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Need to copy 50 billion floppies!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cwb27

Well it's not really that many, but it's a lot. Is there any way to more efficently copy the disks?

I doubt there is, but when you see a stack of blank floppies that's about a foot high it's sort of intimidating. :)

copy them all into a folder on the HDD and burn that to a CD, make sure you dont close out the session so you can add onto it later.

If you use have a LS120 or 240 it'll write much faster, in the vicinity of 8X. If it's strictly copying, use an imaging program and write from HDD, an excellent free one here:

http://dvalot.free.fr/emtcopy.htm

It also does a scan/CRC on the disk and will indicate disk or copy errors.

Depends on who is paying for it and how many there are. There exists a special mass copy floppy drive. You put 100 disks in the top, install the software and hit go. I have no clue where to get one though. Some copy shops have them and will copy floppies for a fee.
Another option would be to write a little batch script that would get the process down to insert floppy and press enter.

It's about 80 disks. I got 40 done in about 30 minutes. Just pasted onto each disk. Was faster then I thought it'd be.

I've do at least multiple computers, with dual-floppy drives, but thats if I wanted to get it done fast. ;)

HELP! Need to copy 50 billion floppies

LOL. I don't know why but some very funny images came into my head..

:::Boss walks in:::

Boss: JOHNSON! I need all these disk copied before the end of the day.

:::Throws down several storage-save boxes of floppies:::

sounds like you're almost done. The curiosity is killing me. Why are you doing this?

It's a new marking administration system being used by my school. Each teacher gets a disk which holds are their marks for all their classes....

Copying the disks is phase 1, phase 2 is labeling each disk..... Phase 3 is installing this software on all 350 computers in the school...... (starts stroking shot gun) Just kill me..... :)

Surely your school has a LAN. If so, there is software available that allows you to "push" a new program to all of the computers from the server.....let the friggin comuter do the walking!

JimmyG said:
Surely your school has a LAN. If so, there is software available that allows you to "push" a new program to all of the computers from the server.....let the friggin comuter do the walking!
I agree. Dealing with floppy disks is a pain. With a LAN there are better ways to do this.

For goodness sakes why in the world are they doing it that way? If those PC's aren't networked FIRE the current computer guy and hire someone to network those puppies. You could set a login script that automatically installs that proggy the minute they log in. Or even better, while they've gone home for the night.

Back