• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem With [email protected] Celly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben721

Official X-Hour Man
Alright, I have this thing folding and all, but it's not hooked up to the internet. So whenever I need to recieve work, I take the cat5e from my pc and put it into the Celly. I do this when it's off though. Basically my problem is that once I shut the pc off, it starts back at 0/xxx and essentially all my work is deleted.

I have tried pausing and quiting, and just plain shutdown.

Is there anyway to get around this, like is this a well known problem?

I have never had that problem, where it starts back at 0/xxx every time you reboot. The folding client should be saving each completed frame to the hard drive, and continuing where it left off after each reboot. What OS are your running? Which folding client are you using? Maybe someone else has seen this problem before.

As a side note, why do you shutdown the computer to connect the cat5e cable? One of my rigs does not have an internet connect right now, and I have swapped the cable numerous times while both computers were running (Windows 2000) without any problems.

Well I shut down in order to switch it, because the computer is in a bad situation and in order to get to the back I need to move it.

I am using Windows Me, with the graphical client. I have a router but all the slots are filled, it's okay though I have no problem switching.

Since it seems like this is an uncommon problem, I will turn the pc around so its easy for me to get to it.

Do you have an extra NIC card? You could possible put 2 NIC cards in 1 of your other computers, and let this computer access the internet through the computer with the 2 NIC cards. I just got this arrangement setup tonight myself. It took me a while to figure it out, but you don't have to run a proxy or anything.

Ben721 said:
Basically my problem is that once I shut the pc off, it starts back at 0/xxx and essentially all my work is deleted.

I have tried pausing and quiting, and just plain shutdown.

Is there anyway to get around this, like is this a well known problem?
Are you sure, it takes a while (10-30 seconds orso) before it starts where it left off. In the meanwhile it says 0/0 and if you move the mouse over the F@H icon in the system tray it says "benchmarking" or "F@h: Working (0/0)".

if you're waiting until the WU is finished before shutting down, then there shouldn't be a problem as the work is done and completed.
i think KILLorBE, has hit the nail right on the head here.
on my machines (using dial up) it can sometimes take more than 5 minutes to upload a completed WU.
during this time it is displayed on EMIII as being at 0/xxx until it finishes uploading and it changes to "no protein" or whatever.

Well yeah I know sometimes it can take a while and all. Basically the problem is once I shut down, I loose all my work. I've waited and tried about 3 different methods of shut down, and none seem to work.

It's no big deal, now I have the pc turned around so it should be very simple to switch cables.

Anyway, would anyone recommend me folding those gromacs (something like that)?

How would I set for gromacs, turning the flags off?

Also how long do gromacs usually take to complete?

to get gromacs, you use the -advmethods -forceasm switches in your F@H shortcut.

time per WU depends on the WU and the speed of your chip.
but as a rough idea, i'm folding with a c1.1A @ 1540 and a 2000+ tbred @ 1450 (mobo can't run 133fsb) and i'm peaking at about 650ppw folding gromacs 24/7.
if i were folding only tinkers, i'd be lucky to get 300 i reckon.

time to complete a WU for me ranges from 10 hours to 29 hours.

it's well worth it. :D

I wish there was a way I can just fold those 18 pointers, cause they seem to go quick.

Back