• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem at 5v rail when i increase fsb mobo to blame

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nuttah

problem at 5v rail when i increase fsb a7n8x to blame?

well im trying to increase my oc but when i use high multi and high fsb at the same time the +5v rail drops a lot... it goes down to 4.7v and when i run 3dmark, during the loading screens my pc shuts down, 99% because at that time i have 100% cpu usage AND my hdd drows power. i tried 5 psus including an enermax 465w... so i know its not my psu but the a7n8x deluxe. i guess when my cpu drows much power, it cant provide a stable 5v rail...
so what can i do? any mods? do u think it might be smthn else?
my ram seems to be able to handle 200fsb stable... i tested everything at 200fsb/low multi

any suggestions? :(

Draw an unused molex line's 5V rail directly to the 5V mosfets. That the 2 closest to the AGP slot next to the 3 caps (verify using a voltmeter). Solder the connection to the center pin on each mosfet. It should help some with the voltage drop. It "MAY" help overclocking.

do you have msn? i need to talk to you about 5v rail and 3dmark2001 stability... maybe the extra volts wont help... maybe its an ati issue here. i dont think so tho, my pc shuts down during the loading screens in 3dmark. this must be because of the power the hdd uses cant be sure tho

I updated my sig to reflect my current setup. I got the antec true control and jacked up all my rails and also did the northbridge volt mod too. Kept the 5V mod. Completely cleared my cmos and also did fsb jumper trick. At this point I maxed out at 200MHz with every trick in the book, well, except for getting a new mobo. It wont do 3D past 200MHz. I gave up trying ...

Sorry about not replying but I dont have any instant messenger software at all. The picture is in the other thread.

yeah i saw the pic it was kind of blurry but i got the general picture... thnx
ill wait for jojomojo to do the mod, i dont like the quality of my a7n8x, im also dissapointed by abit, maybe ill try epox next time

Sup fellas, ya guess ya found it all out regarding the 5volt mod. If memory serves me correctly the two bottom mosfets were the 5 volt mosfets but of course ya should always verify it with a multimeter. The drooping 5 volt rail seems to be a problem of Asus as the Abit NF-7S I replaced my asus boards with does not have the same problem with the same power supply and did not need the mod. Like Hoot pointed out you can hook multiple 5 volt rails to the mosfets which I ended up adding about 4 extra 5volt supplies to the 5volt mosfets to get my 5volt rail back up to where I liked it. Sorry for the delay but I just switched to the darkside and have gone INTEL :rolleyes:

JoJoMoJo said:
Sup fellas, ya guess ya found it all out regarding the 5volt mod. If memory serves me correctly the two bottom mosfets were the 5 volt mosfets but of course ya should always verify it with a multimeter. The drooping 5 volt rail seems to be a problem of Asus as the Abit NF-7S I replaced my asus boards with does not have the same problem with the same power supply and did not need the mod. Like Hoot pointed out you can hook multiple 5 volt rails to the mosfets which I ended up adding about 4 extra 5volt supplies to the 5volt mosfets to get my 5volt rail back up to where I liked it. Sorry for the delay but I just switched to the darkside and have gone INTEL :rolleyes:

intel?!?!! :(((((

ya no regrets here for the changeover........ ya its a little more expensive but the stability is amazeing. With the P4c processors running 200fsbs and the Asus P4C800 boards running 250+ fsb rock solid my mind is boggled right now on why it took me so long to do the change over. Last night I saw 422 frames per second in 3dmark and running a clock speed of 3.5 gigahertz........Im still waiting on my waterblock from danger den for a socket 478 as right now im still running the crappy aluminum heatsink that comes boxed with the p4! Sure its a little more expensive but in the long run Im convinced its cheaper than buying all those motherboards trying to find a stable platform for my AMD chips. Guess it just depends on how ya look at it. Still love my AMD systems but the P4 is now my main rig. this isnt really the right section to be talking about all this I guess but since someone asked intel? http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=202241

is it not youre memory letting you down?

you have 180X13 in youre sig .......with 2700 @180 wow how ?

sounds like you need 3200/3500 :)

O.M.G im lost then ....
er how you get up to 200 on 2700 ?

i go down to 4.7 as well ...but everything fine mmmm

sorry cant help

:(

EDIT have you tried 200x12 ? that will give 2400mhz ...
thats what i ran mine on :)

Last edited:
I also have problems with my 5Volt line when overclocking my CPU (2400 Mhz @ 1,75 Volt). Do some people have real experience with this mod?? And what Voltage can I expect after the mod??

BTW, for stress testing your CPU and PSU, try BurnK7!!! Nothing is heavier for your CPU.

Back