• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit bp6. Does it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NetDaemon

Registered
Does it worth it to get an abit bp6 with 2 celys at 466 mhz (i think so). For a router/file server in a network?

I 'll get the mobo + the cpus for £35. What do you say?

Does these boards accept celerons 600+?

How much is that in USD?

The BP6 can only run first-generation Celerons in smp.

I think thats about 50 bucks. I say its a pretty good deal. I mean those cellys are about 12 on ebay, and the mobo I think is about 40-60 on ebay. I say go for it.

Will happily route and serve files, but for similar money you could be looking at a Duron or low speed XP mobo/CPU combo. Not to knock on the BP6 but can be easily outclassed by a single CPU Athlon at this point.

The HPT 366 controller on the bp6 is pretty well useless, the UDMA 33 is twice the speed of the UDMA 66 :mad:
And a lot of them have failing caps, mine does and I have had to replace most of them.
I think that there is still some more to go as it locks up the ps2 ports in 3d games.
A Nforce 1 chipset with duron 1300 is a pretty cheap solution. I have been selling these as entry level system for business use and some light gaming.

Here is some problems that other Bp6 users were having.

http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1195&highlight=hpt366
If ya don't belive me do some benchmarks on the HPT 366 with a fast drive (I used a 7.2k ata133 80g maxtor and a few 7.2k quantums), then put it on the ata 33 controller you will see what I am talking about.
My bp6 was running as a NT4 server for its whole life 24/7. It has clocked up a lot of hours of use, which probably was the reason that the caps have failed earlier than some of the less used ones.

Last edited:
I have 2 BP6 based machines and they are both worth it.
The first one is used as fileserver and for playing Diablo II under Winex, and the second one is used for compressing DivX until i can afford a Athlon MP.

Get the 366 mhz CPU´s, they will most likely run at 550 mhz with a 2/3 PCI multiplier and a 100 mhz FSB.

My BP6 is running fine, no problems whatsoever. No failing caps either. It doesn't run 24h/24h though.
It would do fine as a file server.

Back