• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Cooler upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD Phreak

Well i am getting tired of this thing, it is a nice heatsink but the fan is just too loud, and it is a 70mm fan and i cant find a shroud to fit the thing so i can use an 80, which i am sure would quiet things down a bunch. I am looking at a Thermalright AX-7 or SLK-800u, or Swiftech MCX-462+. Basicaly anything along those lines that i can fit a 80mm fan on.

As it sits right now my pc is very noisy, although i am sure the lian li case does not help much....

Any suggestions from you guys/gals out there would be helpful!

Thanks,
Ben

slk-800u or slk-800a, works great with any 80mm fan above 40cfm :D

see my sig for mine, its pretty quiet, i can sleep with it on.

Another vote for the Thermalright SLK series, I have a p4 and tried 3 different Heatsinks. The Stock one that came with the processor, the Volcano 7+ (garbage in my opinion "maybe" a 2C improvement over intels stock HS). And now I use the Thermalright SLK-900u with a 92mm Enermax fan putting out 54CFM which dropped my temps for both load and idle by about 8C. I dont' use my tornado while yeah it might improve my temps a few degrees, but when the PC at full load is only 46C theres no need to add a fan thats louder than a vaccum ;)

I'm using the Swiftech mcx-370... cools nicely with pretty much any fan I've used on it. Hits about 42c under full load. I just swapped a few fans until I found one that cools sufficiently, yet stays pretty quiet.

Sorry guys i forgot to mention what i have now. I have a Evercool CUD-715 with an Evercool fan.... here is linkage for my current cooler.

http://www.jab-tech.com/product_info.php?cPath=45_47&products_id=168

So it sounds like the SLK series is the one that is recomended. Right now at full load my temps are 46*C which is quite good, considering Vcore was raised to 1.82v just a couple days ago for stability. At idle its 41-42, but if i use my rheobus to throttle things down, temps jump to like 48 idle, and then i wind up re booting, so there is not really any point in doing that.

Any suggestions for fans besides the TT SF2 for those SLK's?

get an slk900u i have neva had a better cooler, not only is my cpu overclocked by 800mhz but, the most i have ever overclocked, but my temps are also the lowest i have ever had...
hardly eva goes over 41 on idel or heavy load...

Well i am getting tired of this thing, it is a nice heatsink but the fan is just too loud

Well, if you go with an 80mm version, the Panaflo Hi is reasonably quiet and still puts out roughly 40 CFM. Has fluid dynamic bearings, so it's very quiet, at 32 dBA. (But seems quieter.) Another 80mm fan I've been happy with is the Thermaltake 80mm fan, which is 30 dBA, 37 CFM. (But about the same noise level as the panaflo I mentioned earlier.) You might give a Panalfo lo a try (24 CFM, 21 dBA), but it may not cool well enough.

A nice alternative to a fanbus is to google for the program called "speedfan". So long as you power your fan off a motherboard header, you can use this free software to vary your fan speeds according to the CPU die temps. (In any configuration you desire, so it's quite a bit more flexible than a traditional thermal-controlled fan.)

If I were to choose a setup right at this moment, I'd try speedfan with the panaflo hi.

*edit*BTW, Cube just showed you one of the best links on the web! ;) */edit*

Have fun, and welcome to the quiet-yet-fast obsession! :) -- Paul

Back