• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Case Needed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irish80122

I have a cheap case that is fairly small and that doesn't get the greatest airflow. I have a tornado in my machine, but my front fan barely pulls any air in, and the back fan and PSU push out a decent amount, so I think I have negative pressure. Temp wise, my motherboard at 24 degrees ambient registers 42 on the CPU and 43 on the Board (strange, I know). When I take the side of the case off with the same ambient, I get 35 as my CPU temp and 37 as my Board temp. These are full load temps by the way. I am wondering if I would be better off getting a new case, such as a Chieftec or something along those lines, or if it would not really make a difference. Also, how important are the lower temperatures, or in this case do they not really matter that much? Thanks.

I would, but the problem is I have a lack of tools and knowhow in order to do it. I put in my own window on this case though, doesn't look all that good, but I still am glowing with pride over it, lol.

those temps look to be decent. You could put a fan on the window. I know that you have a lack of tools but a 50 dollar investment for a dremel would go a long way. You could also get a hole saw if you already have a drill.

Well, if your indeed looking for a new case, i say do it. Or hack up your case like the others say.

The chieftec/antec cases are huge, and from what i've learned have greater airflow. Check my system here.

I myself am in the market for a smaller, quieter case that will give me the same or almost the same performance as the Antec. I just want a change from the beige and loud hum...

Besides, you got the same barton at same multiplier as me, and you are 35C/load...I usually sit idle at 34-35C...So dont worry.

Last edited:
Well, if you're gonna get a new case, I'd go with the chieftech or antech towers. They've got great cooling if you use all 4 fans. I had my P4 at 25C.

When I moved it into my new coolermaster, temps shot up quite a bit (~+10C), but the case does look a LOT cooler (ie. snazzier, not colder... LOL). But your temps are pretty good as is. I'd leave it alone if you feel like you're gonna totally mess your case up.

I'm planing to put a hole into the bottom of my case for a fan (it sits on my desk and has feet, so it's lifted up by about a 1/4 of an inch). But I'm kinda freaked out because my case cost me a pretty penny and so I might end up taking it to a metal shop. Then again, my job required cutting from the bottom, which won't shot up, but you wanna cut the front... big difference... :(

I recommend a dremel. Makes even the crappiest cases decent :) I don't think these guys even wants to see pics of my generic case, so yeah :D

I think everybody has a hacked up case thats kept in the closet and only brought out when theres a big project and a temporary case is needed.

trdsw20 said:
I think everybody has a hacked up case thats kept in the closet and only brought out when theres a big project and a temporary case is needed.

lol....well it's not that bad....... :(

Everyone wants these Antec/Chieftech cases! They are so big and ugly in my opinion, why not just use a little more money and get a Kingwin or Lian-Li and have it look great and have great airflow.
I use the Kingwin and it has incredible airflow and is silent (at least untill my CPU cooler gets going. It has duel 80 mm fans in the front, one 80 mm in the top window, and duel 80 mm fans under the power supply. Just my thoughts. :)

LianLi and kingwin

Hehe I am actually a big server person. I like the design of the chieftec,antec, server cases. I don't like the designs on the lianli's just because of personal preference. They are great cases though. Guess I like big and ugly. :D :D

Try looking at Inwin if you like the big ones, they make a full tower that was nice and big. I used one as my case before I had to go smaller and it has plenty of room and plenty of fan installing options with a little drilling.

Back