• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just got my pc, now what.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tcg23

Registered
I just got my Via EPIA 800Mhz MiniITX barebones Motherboard, 256mb of PC133 SDRAM, and a case in the mail. Despite how stupid the title of this post sounds I do know how to build a computer.
My question is, what burnin process is a good way to test the unit?
I bought all my parts from directron and I got the RAM tested.

This computer is going to be sitting on my floor and will act as the gateway between the internet (cable broadband) and my LAN, I will be running OpenBSD on it. I could load Win98 and run Prime95 and Memtest86. I've never done a "BurnIn" process before? Normally I just leave it on for 24 hours, no stress tests or anything.

Via EPIA 800Mhz Barebones
Directron 256mb of PC133 SDRAM (tested)
Directron V21 Case
Tia,
-TheComputerGuy23

I guess my main question is, is it really needed? I won't be overclocking but I guess a torture test of Prime95 wouldn't hurt. I'll just throw a quick install of Win98 on it and Prime95 it, since I don't have broadband yet, I might install games and see how well those MiniITX boards play. Thanks for the help..
-TheComputerGuy23

I recommend just letting it sit idle in windows for 24 hours before starting a burn in program.

ok, I'm still in the assembly proccess. I ran into a problem though. I am going to need 2 NIC cards, there is one onboard, so I got a low profile PCI NIC card in a trade. The NIC card has a full back plane and the PCI slot doesn't match up with the 4 small I/O slots on the back of the case.
Look that the links I posted about, you can see the pic's for the back of the case at directron.

I am building my sister an identical computer, I might order a different case for her and use that case and give her this one.
I am really impressed with the case design and layout. There is actually alot of space left in the case and a place to put a 80mm fan on the side, for intake. The HD sits on the bottom, then 3.5" and a 5.25" bays sit side by side on top of the HDD. The PSU has enough vent slots to allow the PSU fan to effectivly provide an exhaust fan.
Also, that 800Mhz VIA EPIA barebones motherboard is quite amazing: it has Video, NIC, Sound, 1 IDE and 1 FD0 channel, 2 168pin slots for RAM, a small HSF on the proc and a passive HS on the northbridge. Not a bad overall system.
Once I have it built I'll prolly post my overall opinion of the package.
-TheComputerGuy23

I've got the computer together, there's a spot on the side to mount a 80mm fan, so I did that. The wireloom for the ATX PUS connecter is blocking most of the airflow, so I need to fix that.
I ended up going to the local PC store and buying a 36" Flat IDE cable, I sure am glad those flat cables are bendable, and they keep their shape! I've been running Memtest86 for about 8 hours now, once it gets done I am gonna let it sit and then run Prime95.
It's a really nice package, and my second NIC card will fit I am just going to have to do some serious modding with the backplane, or just take the backplane off. I am thinking of using the blank i/o slot cover to mount to the card as the backplane.
Any ideas...
-TheComputerGuy23

Back