• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Run Nvidia's Dawn demo on your ATi DX9 card!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaddyB

It seems some engineers at MIT wrote an opengl wrapper to allow you to run nvidia's dawn/pixie demo on any DX9 ATi card (9500 and up). Looks like 'cinematic' graphics for both sides of the never ending debate...

I read about it here and you can download the wrapper here from rage3d. Rage 3d seems a little slow right now though, I guess all the ATi guys wanna see Dawn.

Yeah the one that is only wearing a couple of leaves for clothes.

I hadn't read the rage3d link when I posted this but apparently it runs faster on the 9800Pro then it does on the GFFX 5800 Ultra (no surprise) but the 9800Pro also runs it faster then the GFFX 5900. That is impressive since the demo is written for nvidia hardware so any nvidia extensions in the code have to be 'translated' into ATi or ARB2 extensions then be rendered. So the ATi cards have to do more work then the nvidia cards but the ATi cards are still faster. Although I would think the wrapper 'translations' are done by the CPU rather then the GPU but I really don't know... so maybe the ATi cards aren't doing more work but the system would be, either way it just means the ATi arcitecture is better suited for this particular demo then the nvidia cards are (that's tech talk for "let's not turn this into an ATi Vs Nvidia debate" :D ).

DaddyB said:
... either way it just means the ATi arcitecture is better suited for this particular demo then the nvidia cards are (that's tech talk for "let's not turn this into an ATi Vs Nvidia debate" :D ).

:rolleyes:

Oh god, I can hear the roar of the ati fanatics and nvidiots coming :p

It looks and runs great. I like the 'trick' too, hehehe.

Maybe they'll make wrappers for the other demos too. Dusk anyone?

-Rav

Back