• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Messed up my keyboard mod :-(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkRawk911

I opened up my keyboard a few days ago and tried replacing the standard green led's in the num lock, caps lock, and other thing with bright blue leds. Now, the only one that works is the caps lock, and it even stays on very dim even when it isn't caps locked. Oh well, probably messed up some solder points, and the leds are probably too high of a voltage for the keyboard to power them... oh well. you live, you learn.

yea, that's the same problem I had with my power light on my case....it worked fine with my old mobo, but appearantly it runs too high of voltage for my new mobo to power it.....

you could try some lower voltage LEDs.....I dunno if you can find many 1-1.5v blue LEDs, but that would do the trick if you could find them.....

I'm pretty sure the voltage of the led basically denotes the color. The lower voltage leds put out lower frequency light, and the higher voltage leds put out higher frequency light.

Err, not meaning to slag you on this, but I don't think that's right. If I wasn't dieing for sleep I'd provide some linkage, but I'm sure there's some people here that'll explain it all.

in the early day s of Gallium Arsenide LEDS then the current and voltage were used to get different colurs, if you ramp up the voltage on a green LED it turns yellow. I wont go into the details but it's all to do with how high you can get an electron to jump on an atom :D Newer LEDS use different semiconductor materials to give different wavelengths of light at an equal standard voltage and current ratings. As a side point the reason blue LEDS took so long to appear is thast it is the hardest wavelength to produce.

weird all this talk about volatages changing the color of leds :| all the leds ive got here are just colored byt the color of their glass :/

Yeah, the more expensive leds are all clear glass and give off different lights because of how they are made.

And yes, I'm pretty sure I have them all in right.

coloured glass was used on LEDs because the early metal compounds gave off several wavelebgths of light and the coloured glass made them more consistent

Back