• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 200, ok without HSF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
486/66 was the last processor to ship without a heatsink in any numbers (and that wasn't wise, most of them had one). Anything faster than that definately needs a sink.

I run my pentium 166 with no heat sink. It gets a little hot to the touch, but I haven't had stability issues or anything. It did originally come with a tiny passive heat sink though, I just wanted to show off the power

Liss said:
alright.. 2 people already answered NO (correct answer).. and another with abit of a history lesson.........

there is no need to keep on posting "NO"

Don't expect anyone is asking your permission before posting. You are free to read something else if you choose.

well I do have a heat sink with it and a fan, so I can just toss some ASIII on it then put the heat sink on and that'll be good right ? "without the fan"

Indeed, should be fine. I had a Pentium Pro (200 MHz with on-package L2 cache) that shipped with a large passive heatsink in January 1998. To this day, it runs flawlessly, and I only infrequently cleaned out the PSU fan. ;) -- Paul

DDR-PIII said:
well I do have a heat sink with it and a fan, so I can just toss some ASIII on it then put the heat sink on and that'll be good right ? "without the fan"

If that 200 is a slot CPU...you shouldn't use AS3 on slot CPU's...they have too big of a area for the AS3 to work right...generic thermal paste will actually work better on slot CPU's...and it never hurts having a fan on it even if it just came with a passive HS...I added 2x40mm to my 350...thing is going on 6yrs old and is still running strong...

Sure, a low-RPM fan would never hurt, but even that just might be overkill. The beauty of these processors is that you can have a silent PC. Sometimes, I still miss my PPro ... :) -- Paul

You should have either a HS desgined to be passive (or so large it's overkill), or one with a small fan.

The good 'ole P90 came with a heat sink and a tiny tiny fan on it.
You should too unless it's a massive amount of sink. You'll never hear a 40mm 5CFM (or less) fan.

Why take the risk? That P200 is a waste of $75 cents if it frys!

glock19owner

Did you get bored one day? This PII350 @ 464 I'm writing on runs perfect with the stock retal cartradge, and the only time it ever got opened and cleaned was atleast two years ago LoL!

All of the Pentiums until the PII's were known to be scorchers in their day.

My P120 had a passive sink on it with a single 80mm case fan aiming on it from 6 inches away. I have an AOC chrome HSF on it now keeping it cool OCed to 133 since that's all the board has to offer!!! hahahha.

oh yeah? well i have a p233 (fastest one they made) and i have it overclocked to 166! (That's all the board can do.) The fan on the hsf i had on it before broke, so i put my stock hsf from my 1.4Tbird on there. Should I be able to take off the noisy a$$ fan and just use the stock hs from the athlon?

Another question to ponder; will the P233 run cooler at 166 than a P166 at 166?

BTW, when I had this P233 on a different board at 180 (now dead), the hsf fell off, and the thing actually smoked and the display corrupted. 180s definitely don't werk without a sink at least.

BTW, you can run a new P4 without a sink OR fan, and the CPU will not only survive, it will keep running! It just clocks down. I saw this test somewhere. As an AMD user, this is amazing!

Here ya go DDR... got a clients pc here right now... this is how IBM shipped the P200 right from the factory:

ibm200.jpg

You could just take a stock HS from another cpu and glue it on... nothing fancy, but it will work. I've got a couple of those HS's in the picture lying around... if u want one PM me.

"Here ya go DDR... got a clients pc here right now... this is how IBM shipped the P200 right from the factory:"
Do you see the fan at the front of the case?
That's the CPU fan.

Back