• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
I've got old parts here enough to make a system.

an ASUS P5A-b mobo, and pentium 200 with everything else. I was gonan toss that stuff into an old scaner ive got here that dosent work, but the vid card is to high, so I was thinking of putting them into an old VCR haha, itd be kinda cool :/ its a Baby T? mobo its really small.

It sounds like a interesting mod to me, lol. Just post some pictures of it when you finish. (I as thinking of doing this once, but never got around to it)

yea, the problem with stuffing things into small cases is that you run into size constraints.....when I put a computer into my scanner, I went with a fully integrated nForce motherboard because I knew I wouldn't have room for a video card, or any expansion cards for that matter...

Once you get the expansion cards under control, the next problem is the drives. Normal 3.5" hard drives don't post much of a problem, but you can use a 2.5" notebook drive if you want. What causes the most trouble is the cd-rom drive.....you can get a notebook drive with IDE-adapter for $30-$50....personally, I would not recommend the one from directron.com.....it's the cheapest that I found, but when I tried to use it it fried up on me for no appearant reason....it's still in there, but it's being used as a support for the hard drive, lol. I found that sharing a CD-ROM from across the network works just as well, hehe. All I did was have a cd-rom and floppy hooked up in order to install the OS, then I unplugged them and closed her up......she's been running great ever since.

These kind of mods are pretty difficult, but VERY satisfying when you finish them, hehe. My advice would be to plan everything out. Getting the drives mounted securely is the hardest part.

The vid card is PCI right??
Dont they have an extension board for that kind of stuff that would allow you to mount it parallel with the mobo?

speaking of that...if you do need an old ISA to PCI extension slot for your mod PM me, I am sure I can help out...have 3 or 4 working ones around...

hmm that allows it to be sideways right ? cuz i do have a PCI video card with it too, the drives wont be a problem there is enough room, cuz its about 3 & 3/4" deep I can just trade my PSu with another i got haha its smaller thanmy cd-rom drive :p

Back