• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AGP bus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hoytron

Call me a newbie, but I have a question that has had me thinking for a while. Is there any advantage to overclocking the AGP bus in the BIOS? I know that you can use sofware to overclock the GPU and video memory to their extremes, but would overclocking the AGP bus have the same effect? Would you prefer to to one or the other, or both? Please let me know.

The AGP bus speed is simply how fast data can be transfered from the CPU to the video card. It has nothing to do with how fast the video card processes data. Increasing it won't have much, if any, effect, since the limiting factor for graphics speed is usually either the CPU or the GPU.

Carnil said:
The AGP bus speed is simply how fast data can be transfered from the CPU to the video card. It has nothing to do with how fast the video card processes data.

Hehe, you just contradicted yourself in the same sentence. :p

Higher AGP speed equals increased bandwidth. Increased bandwidth equals faster speeds. :rolleyes:

no if it doesnt use the extra bandwidth he did not contradict himself.

like this:
if you are driving at 35mph and you cant go any faster you wont get to where you are going faster wether you are on a 35mph road or a 75mph road cuz you can still only go 35mph:D

i wouldnt overclock your AGP...i personally lock down my AGP at 66 mghz after i overclocked and had a 84 mghz agp bus my my 9700 pro never worked well anyway...overclocking your agp bus isnt worth it

i heard its a bit dangerous to overclock your agp or pci slots. ive read in other threads here that say setting your agp to anythign higher then 70 i think might damage your card.. am i right?

raven

well PCI and AGP cards are designed for 33mhz and 66mhz, anything over that could cause problems genneraly the more you go ove rthe more problems or the higher the chance of them... i seriously doubt you would benefit if you mean just raising the bus speed and even if you did you wouldnt be able to tell because that would raise the speed of everything else too...

Generally speaking, you will always see a performance gain from overclocking your AGP bus as long as it doesn't cause your AGP card to become unstable or lock up. Nvidia cards are very tolerant of AGP overclocking and will see some nice gains, I can't speak for all ATI cards since my 9700 PRO is the first ATI card I've owned but it does not like an overclocked AGP bus at all. It will certainly lock up if I go much over the default 66MHz.

i pushed mine to 74 mhz just for one last run on 2001se and got 60pionts more ...just did the trick ....
back down and locked at 66mhz now think that is the safe way to go :)
74 was the limit as above 9700s dont like high agp

-=TriX-R4-KidS= said:
ive overclocked my agp bus to the max 99. dont get any graphical errors/instabilities.

i get a 200+ 3dmark2001 point increase by doing this.

card is a crapola r9000 np

-TriX

AGP 1x = PCI = 33Mhz.
AGP 2x = 66Mhz.
AGP 4x = 133 Mhz.
am I right?

So if you are running at 99 Mhz. you either have a 49Mhz. PCI bus wich is unlikely or you are running underclocked(wich is also unlikely as your gain in 3dmark).

Oh it could be that I am totally wrong also :))

Excuse my "gramar".

Sòmines said:

AGP 1x = PCI = 33Mhz.
AGP 2x = 66Mhz.
AGP 4x = 133 Mhz.
am I right?

So if you are running at 99 Mhz. you either have a 49Mhz. PCI bus wich is unlikely or you are running underclocked(wich is also unlikely as your gain in 3dmark).

Oh it could be that I am totally wrong also :))

Excuse my "gramar".

Well almost right. The AGP bus always runs at 66Mhz. 2X,4X, and 8X is how much data is transfered with that 66Mhz. It gets confusing but the 66Mhz always stays the same;

1x (266Mbps) (8 bytes per two clock cycles)
2x (533Mbps) (8 bytes per clock cycle)
4x (1.07Gbps) (16 bytes per clock cycle)

Back