• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference Between Win XP and Win ME

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben721

Official X-Hour Man
Is there really that big of a difference? I heard ME is slow in a recent post, but is it worth me upgrading to xp pro?

ME is slow in everything...a "F"ing resource hog...ME should of never been released...

Yes it will be worth the upgrade to XP for everything...

Alright, I think I will later today.

I have Win XP on all my pc's except my celly. If I average around 12 minutes for a frame, will it decrease to around 10?

About how big of a difference will I see?

Can't tell you that since I have refused to even own ME let alone run it...I am sure you will see a descent increase though...especially with having more resources open unlike ME that wants to use every last bit even at idle...

Tweakxp.com

They have/had some tweaks for XP to help fold faster...they have about every tweak out for XP...incase you didn't know about this site...

Alright, thanks for the info.

But I only have 2 things running, EMIII and F@H, but I will upgrade today. :D

I tried ME for a couple of weeks and it wasn't that bad but I still liked 98 better as it will do true DOS mode games while ME won't.

I installed ME mainly because of its native USB2 support. As soon as I figured out that my mobo had USB2 drivers for 98se, I ditched ME.

I used to think 98 was a great OS until I got spoiled on w2kpro. Now 98se is only OK in my eyes and I have it for some DOS games and two sided printing from my HP870Cxi as the w2k drivers from M$ won't do double sided printing..

I purchased ME when the upgrade version was 46.00 per license. I like it because it's cheap, has lots of driver support and is cheap. If I had the money to put XP pro on all my rigs I'd still use ME and put the money in hardware. But then I play with computers and Fold. It's funny how in one breath we say ME is slow and on the next say use LInux it's more stable. Six instances of ME and look at my stats. :clap: :D :burn: :beer:

dropadrop said:

ME sucks more! :)

I never had a problem with me, and I am looking at them 2 with how they compare through folding.

ME does not fold as fast as 98/98SE because it has some underlying operations that use the processor. One is the Restore program which keeps a snapshot of your setup and goes back if you need to after a snafu. The other is the System File Checker which monitors the windows files for corruption or changes made by installed programs that replace newer files with old. I don't see it as a big hinderance. There are several resons why I keep ME over 98/SE. You can showcase pictures in My Documents\My Pictures, driver loading is easier, and the driver database is more extensive and current (Folders use a lot of older parts and ME automatically loads the drivers for them.

I know that XP also does this but I am very familiar with ME and not ready to spend the time nor the money on an upgrade. I wonder how many people saying how much ME sucks have actually used the System.:p You will never see me communicate negative information about a product that I have never used. $146.00 per license is prohibitive to me for folding boxes. ME ain't that much slower.

JetMech, your point is well taken and understood. With the driver support, ME does create an attractive option for folding boxes, but most tend to find alternative avenues for software requisition thus negating the licensing costs you find prohibative. :D

I have used ME, 95, 98, 98se, W2K, XP home, XP pro, W2K server, and W2K adv. server. And when I say "used" I don't mean I turned a box on and did a couple of minutes of pointing and clicking.

W2K remains my favorite of all the current offerings by M$. Stable, fast, and I have the power to shut off all the darn windows extra stuff that I'd just assume to do myself.

One more thing, I was up at my Parents house last night installing their dsl line and the necessary NIC. Their xp pro box automatically installed the NIC drivers, but they were the wrong friggin' drivers! I was installing a D-Link NIC and XP tried to use Real drivers.... Again, w2k, I like it when I say "do this" and the computer just does it, or at least tries. :D

Wedo

Well I got my copy of 2k3 corp last night as soon as I find my self a cd to burn it to I'm going to check it out. :D

Wedo said:
JetMech, your point is well taken and understood. With the driver support, ME does create an attractive option for folding boxes, but most tend to find alternative avenues for software requisition thus negating the licensing costs you find prohibative. :D

I have used ME, 95, 98, 98se, W2K, XP home, XP pro, W2K server, and W2K adv. server. And when I say "used" I don't mean I turned a box on and did a couple of minutes of pointing and clicking.

W2K remains my favorite of all the current offerings by M$. Stable, fast, and I have the power to shut off all the darn windows extra stuff that I'd just assume to do myself.

One more thing, I was up at my Parents house last night installing their dsl line and the necessary NIC. Their xp pro box automatically installed the NIC drivers, but they were the wrong friggin' drivers! I was installing a D-Link NIC and XP tried to use Real drivers.... Again, w2k, I like it when I say "do this" and the computer just does it, or at least tries. :D

Wedo
I feel you WEDO. That wasn't me typing last night. That was Capt. Morgan.:D :beer:

When you say Win2K was the fastest and all will Win2K do the job as well?

The real difference imho is ones a big piece of crap, the other is just a piece of crap.........i use 2k so thats just my totally bias opinion

I usually compare os's to how they perform right out of the box (no tweaking) and freshly installed xp is much better than ME. Of course you'll have to tweak the xp install anyway :D. If you need to use ME just use 98.

What exactly do I need to tweak on a fresh XP install?

JetMech said:
I wonder how many people saying how much ME sucks have actually used the System.:p

I have used ME, it's on my brother's computer. I have not had good experiences with it. It never did anything right.

Axle

Back