• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

> 4 PCs to 1 user

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marklar

Registered
I've just started folding and I want to set up the whole office under my user name.

How do I get more than 4 computers under 1 username? Do I just put 5 evern though it says '1-4'

marklar said:
I've just started folding and I want to set up the whole office under my user name.

How do I get more than 4 computers under 1 username? Do I just put 5 evern though it says '1-4'

The 1-4 thing only matters when you have more than 1 copy of the Folding@Home program on one computer.

install one copy on each computer seperately, each with the same name and "32" as the team number. Unless some of the computers are Dual-processors, leave it as "1" for the User ID for the lot.

Welcome to the fold :)

edit: and don't forget to fold Gromacs ;)

Last edited:
The machine ID if for running more than one folding client at a time(as you would on a dual processor system) If these are all different PC's then just leave the machine ID at 1. Just make sure that the username and team number are correct on each machine.

good luck....welcome to the fold

Okay that's that sorted. Will the fact that I have set computers to 2 & 3 cause any problems or can I just leave it as it is?

Another thing is that 1 computer divides the frames (600 in this case) into 30 sequences and lets me know when it's done 10% of each sequence. PIII 600 = 10% per 4:30mins = 1 frame per 2:15mins

The other computers are going 1 frame at a time (400 in this case) PIV 1.5 = 1 frame per 7mins.

How can I reliably work out how fast they are folding?

Also, how do I specify folding Gromacs?

BTW, I'm using the DOS console.

Try using EMIII. It can monitor all of the clinets folding on the different comps. There is no way to only fold gromacs, but there is a flag to tell F@H to choose gromacs over tinkkers if they are available. To use the flags, you must make a shortcut of the client. Go to properties of the shortcut, and at the end of the target (right after the quotation mark), put a space then
-advmethods. You can also use the forceasm flag to force you cpu to use optimizations, but only if you know that it is 100% stable. Once you modded your shoirtcut, put it in the startup folder in the start menu. See example below

"C:\Program Files\F@H\FAH3Console.exe" -forceasm -advmethods

Thanks Portorock, I've just finished setting up EMIII and it answered some of my other questions.

The two P4s are working on tinker and the PIII is working on genome.

The P4s have a lower frame rate because the protein is worth 19.7 points where as the PIII one is worth 6.2 points.

Why is running Gromacs a good thing?

I set up the other computers in the office so that the console runs at startup and is hidden but windows gives a 'you need to close this program before shutting down' message when I shut down the computer. Is there any way to get rid of this as the others in the office will only let me run F@H if they don't have to do anything.

Also, bad news I'm afraid :( . The boss thinks folding is great and has set up his own team which we're now all folding for (this is the down side to getting permission). I'm sure he'll forget about it in a week so I'll switch them all back to overclockers ;) .

marklar said:
Why is running Gromacs a good thing?

Gromacs use SSE extensions.

Also, bad news I'm afraid :( . The boss thinks folding is great and has set up his own team which we're now all folding for (this is the down side to getting permission). I'm sure he'll forget about it in a week so I'll switch them all back to overclockers ;) .

Lol :D

Give it a shot. Remember we are in this for a time, so not a massive hurry. The sooner the better though.

marklar said:
Okay that's that sorted. Will the fact that I have set computers to 2 & 3 cause any problems or can I just leave it as it is?

Another thing is that 1 computer divides the frames (600 in this case) into 30 sequences and lets me know when it's done 10% of each sequence. PIII 600 = 10% per 4:30mins = 1 frame per 2:15mins

The other computers are going 1 frame at a time (400 in this case) PIV 1.5 = 1 frame per 7mins.

How can I reliably work out how fast they are folding?

Also, how do I specify folding Gromacs?

BTW, I'm using the DOS console.
That 30% thingy is a Gnome or GAH work unit. In the configuration you to say yes when it asks if you want to (can't think of the right wording without stopping mine and checking) change settings. One of the listed things to change is whether you want to do Folding at Haome (FAH), Gnome AT Home (GAH), or both. The default is both. GAH has no time limit, takes a long time to do, but gives you points. FAH is what we're doing and the "Gromacs" are the fastest and give the most points in a given period of time. You must create a shortcut on the desk, right click it, choose properties, and in the window add the switches -advmethods -forceasm, to get the gromac work units. Make sure there is a skipped space between the e and - in the window. Hope thats everything (I'm trying to antisipate further questions).:)

Back