• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Redduc, my man, can you decipher this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Event Type: Error
Event Source: nv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 13
Date: 5/23/2003
Time: 9:38:04 PM
User: N/A
Computer: THEPERFE-715T08
Description:
GR SW Notify Error on 0001 d3d09701 00000597 00001d80 00000001 00000020
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 0d 00 aa c0 ......ªÀ
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

I think it has something to do with my nVidiot card, but I'm not sure what it means. That, and the MS Knowledge base is useless.

I used to get the same error myself periodically (Event ID: 13...Event Source: nv)...normally when either my OC wasn't stable, or the AGP bus was way out of spec (up around 100MHz on previously run VIA boards, depending on the divider setup)...especially on the nForce boards I've owned (the 8RDA+ didn't like the AGP bus speed at anything higher than about 72MHz, and the NF7-S doesn't like it when the bus is pushed higher than around 67-68).

A few things that come to mind...

a) Make sure you're running the latest BIOS revision for your board, and that your OC is perfectly stable. Try setting all the AGP options in the BIOS to their least aggressive settings, and disable any 'shadowing' options.
b) If you have the option of editing the FastWrites option in the BIOS, disable it...having FW enabled shows very little gain if any in real world applications, and more times than not causes instability depending on the overall makeup of the system.
c) Unstable memory timings can also cause the nv error...run Memtest v3.0 through all 7 tests a number of times to determine if maybe your timings are set too aggressively.
d) Like I mentioned above, excessive AGP bus frequency can also contribute to this error...if you're running a NF2 board, make sure it's as close to 66 as possible for the most stable system. If you have the option to increase the 'AGP Voltage', try setting it to the next highest value.
e) Updating your VC drivers may help matters, but I doubt it. Normally the nv error is attributed to an unstable bus or OC (from my experience anyway). It wouldn't hurt to make sure you have the latest drivers for your card, and if you've recently updated drivers...it's possible there's still remnants of the old driver set on your rig.
f) Check to make sure that no other devices are sharing the IRQ with the VC. Depending on the system it may not make a difference, while on others...it can (definitely something to check).
g) If you're OC'ing your card, try lowering the core and memory clocks a little at a time...the VC could be overheating, and causing the error (a very good possibility).
h) If you're running a VIA board, make sure you're running the latest version of the 4in1's...an NF2 board, the latest Unified driver set...Intel, the latest INF. ;)

Last edited:
Would you believe that updating from the 41.09s to the 43.00s seem to have fixed the problem? :rolleyes:

With the 41.09s, in UT2k3, the corpses would fall through the floor a few seconds after "dying". Everytime this happened, an nv error would be written to the log. I couldn't go 10 seconds without an error popping up. It no longer crashes, though, it just fills the Event Log up with crap.

After the 43.00s, corpses turn green and "float away" like they're supposed to. I ran DM-Plunge for 25 frags and didn't get any errors. Hopefully it'll be stable from now on.

Thanks.

Back