• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Cruncher Added

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

John LA

Just got my $150 dual xeon system up and running. But it fought me every inch of the way. I purchased 2 Xeon 500MHz cpu's for $50 from the classifieds, and found a dual mother board for it for $100. Had a HD, 256M of memory and a CD hanging around. But I had no manual for the motherboard so I found all the info I could online and went to it. Right now it is in my basement on a piece of plywood resting on my server case. Using the dual (redundant) PSU setup from the server case for power. I found if I connect the reset button the computer won't boot - that only took me about an hour to figure out.
But its running now
Specs:
Dual Xeon 500 MHz, 512 Cache
40G WD 7200 RPM
256M Crucial PC100
Some kind of PCI Video Card and a crappy 15" Monitor

LA
edit for spelling

Just when I started to get my #'s moving, then I noticed a couple of guys that'd be taking me on no problem, you being one of them :p

Keep it going!

I;ve been keeping my eye on you and Tallen, It will be a couple of weeks or so til I start getting close to Fallen and at least a moth or so till I catch you.
It looks like I'll get 2 or maybe 3 WU's from the Xeon per day.
Its getting harder and harder to move up at this point though.

LA :)

Yeah, I had trouble once I started hitting into the mid 200 range, slowly pushing my way towards the top 200..

And if you look at the big picture, phew, that gets bad! Right now I'm in the top 2%, better than about 98.150% of the others, and it takes 1WU, to even move .001%, lol.

You'll be catching me soon enough though, I don't see any additional crunching power in my near future.

Getting to the top 300 wasn't too bad but now its tough. I wont even gain a single position today. But that goes with the territory, it seems to be almost geometric once you get into the 200's. Less than 1000 wu's from 400 to 300, about 1200wu's to go from 300 to 200, but about 3400 to go from 200 to 100. So now the push really begins. I guess it just takes some patience.

LA

You should definitely get more than 3-4 per day out of that rig unless it's not used full time.

The paln is to run it full time except for when I get the time to put it into the case and get the scsi setup working with it. I got the case with the scsi's from work as they were going to toss it out when I saved it.
I have it set to run 2 processes and it looks like it takes about 10 hours to complete. I'm not sure if this is the best way to run it or not. But we'll see how it turns out.

LA

Back