• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turbolink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cricket

Registered
I was looking at an X-Pider case that came with a Turbolink 420watt psu. Anyone have any experience with Turbolink and know if it is good/bad/average?

my friends 420w turbolink died when running 3dmark01se, he only had it for a few months, replaced it with an antec trueblue480 and everything is great

Channel Well makes these - I have the same 420w unit and have had no problems whatsoever with stability. I did have to replace the fan once when the original started making noise, but the PSU has been up and running 16 hours a day for the last 8 months with no other problems.

Channelwell didn't make my Turbolink 420W. It's complete crap. The voltages are all way off, especially the 3.3 line. The power supply itself is very light, and exhausts warm air constantly.

I've got a Fortron 350W on the way over to replace it. :)

They must have switched OEM's at some point then... my 420 ain't that light :/

I think I'll drop Turbolink off my list of decent PSU's now...

Edit: just did some more research, and found something interesting. Some Turbolink 420's have different specs - some are identical to my CWT, but others deviate from it; particularly on the 5vsb line. They obviously don't use CWT on a consistant basis.

I believe I'll eat my own words now and suggest that if you get this case, try and have them drop the PSU or substitute a Fortron/Sparkle for it.

Last edited:
After reading the first couple posts, I went back and checked the label they show with the case. It listed as a CWT-420ATX12V. I'm assuming that means it is Channel Well and should be reliable. Although I may end up buying one without a psu just to be sure what I am getting.

Does it look something like this:

turbolink.jpg

Just buy the case without the power supply. :)

The CWT model number is a dead giveaway - that's a Channel Well and the same one I have... I think you have a bad one there Giblet, mine's been incredibly stable and reliable. Another possibility is yours could be modified in some way by Turbolink... mine's definitely got some weight to it. I'd heard some rumours Turbolink's don't have the adjustable pots mine has - maybe they made other changes that weren't so good. Here's a review with internal pics of the unit if you ever feel like comparing: http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/psu/cwt420/

Mine does blow warm air, but only since I put a new fan in - this fan is lower cfm. Also, these have thermal fan control, but the sensor doesn't come very close to the heatsink mounting screw it's supposed to be attached to.

I say don't trust the Turbolink - not sure how much remains of a Channel Well in it, but Giblet's experience suggests to me they've done some altering to it. Don't know why they would, but I'm not recommending them until I know for sure they're the same thing as an actual CWT.

Last edited:
Back