• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No $$$ for video RAMsinks???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

Well if you are like me, here's a great alternative...

Pull out your box of old fried motherboards and stuff and look around (mainly on the Socket 5-7 boards) for a heatsink of some sort near the CPU socket. That's teh heatsink for the voltage regulator. If you have a dremel, then you can cut them to your specifications. I plan to use some of these on the top of my card when I get the chance to cut them. I'll have pix soon too :).

I have made 2 sets with old Pentium1 heatsinks. One are kind normal looking heatsinks and one was a giant heatsink like 3 times as big as the pentium, the ones I made from this are the biggest ramsinks i have ever seen. I used hacksaws(and no vice) to cut them up, this took hours though and was not easy.

A hacksaw and vice took me a matter of minutes.

Result?
gf2.jpg

Looks nice. How well does that heatsink work for you? My dad gave me the one that he got with his Duron 950 and it's almost exactly the same. It needs lapping really bad though. It's soo uneven, that it only sits on about a third of the core.

It's an old socket 7 heatsink. I coud o/c the core to about 217 or so (this was a Geforce 2 GTS, by the way) but this was most likely the card's fault and not cooling; this was a no-brand GTS whose default speeds were lower than spec. The heatsink was cool, to the touch, though... but then, it was a GF2.

Yes but, i had no vice. Not to mention just the base of the heatsink i used is thicker than the height of those whole ramsinks.

once you put on ram sinks is there a way to get them off and using them again without destroying your ram chips,i want to buy 50$ ram sinks but if they cant come off damn thats just $$$blown

If you use a thermal epoxy, some people say to put the card in the freezer (in a closed anti-static bag) and let it sit for an hour or more. Take it out and you should be able to GENTLY pry the ramsinks off. Then wait for a while before putting the card back in so that any condensation that occured has time to evaporate.

ive heard that mixing the expoy with a small ammount of thermal paste before aplication makes the epoxy slightly weaker meaning it can be removed

thanks,but could i use like a sticky thermal pad and then when it gets heated up i might be able to take the sinks off?what things can you use to attach ram sinks to a vid card??

Yodums said:
Curious, but what's with those elastic bands?

They served to attach the heatsink to the core... not exactly the best method. The heatsink once fell off when I was using the card :D

Soon after this pic, though, I epoxied the heatsink on.

Ugh. When AMD Phreak and I were applying the epoxy to our RAM sinks we were talking about how "dumb" it'd be for someone to epoxy a heatsink to a GPU core. Looks like I was wrong. And now that I think about it, that isn't a bad idea. I mean, if there's no other way to attatch it, I guess that's really your only alternative.

I used the four-corners trick, only applying epoxy to the corners and covering the rest with ASIII. It works fine.

well there's enough surface tension from most thermal pastes like AS III and arctic alumina to keep ramsinks on, if you bump em they move, but just use AA and it's no big deal....I wish I had a digital camera, I'd show ya my cak38 (450g copper HSF) that I mounted on without epoxy or rubber bands!!!

For those of you who don't have some dead mobos to gut, here's another possible RAMsink for you.

Back when my Radeon 8500 was still alive and kicking, I used staple-gun staples to get an aditional 20MHz out of the RAM. Now, I know what you're thinking... STAPLES?!?! Yeah! They're exactly the same width as the chips (or at least the rectangular chips on the 8500... which should be the same dimensions as all other rectangular RAM chips), and can be broken off to any length you want. AS them in place, and turn up the clock :)

It probably won't work quite as good as a 'real' heatsink, but those staple-gun staples have some surface area to them, and depending on what kind they are, can have more or less area (technically, I think normal staples will work, but they have very little area).

[/speil older members have already heard]
JigPu

Damian said:
It's an old socket 7 heatsink. I coud o/c the core to about 217 or so (this was a Geforce 2 GTS, by the way) but this was most likely the card's fault and not cooling; this was a no-brand GTS whose default speeds were lower than spec. The heatsink was cool, to the touch, though... but then, it was a GF2.

i think i know what that card is, because i might be using the same one, i have a Visiontek Geforce2 GTS-V, looks a lot like it

V for value i guess, which explains why the default speed 175/286(143) is lower than the usual GTS stock of 200/333(166.5), the stock heatsink/fan looks smaller than yours tho, but i suspect you're not using stock, i pried the hsf off and as-epoxied it back on as well as epoxied thermaltake ramsinks, have it clocked with no artifacts at all at 201.2/343.6(171.8), the epoxy takes 20 minutes to set although it says 5, moves when bumped when not set

Ec]-[oMaN said:
once you put on ram sinks is there a way to get them off and using them again without destroying your ram chips,i want to buy 50$ ram sinks but if they cant come off damn thats just $$$blown

if anyone is looking for a cheaper alternative to the $50 ramsinks, I could possibly cut up some Al heatsinks to any custom size for much cheaper and I think they will look pretty good. Then you wont feel so guilty about using AS adhesive and hooking them on. PM me if you want to try to work something out.

Back