• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would faster memory give me more FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meksyk

Right now I cant go over 146fsb, (check my sig) the Asus mobo allows me to increase fsb for memory only without affecting pci/agp buses. if I use a faster DDr like 2700 or 3000 would I be able to reach higher fsb, or could be my CPU (still locked) or volt settings holding me back?

Thanks in advance

Kintaro Oe said:
Right now I cant go over 146fsb, (check my sig) the Asus mobo allows me to increase fsb for memory only without affecting pci/agp buses. if I use a faster DDr like 2700 or 3000 would I be able to reach higher fsb, or could be my CPU (still locked) or volt settings holding me back?

Thanks in advance

Most likely that CPU is holding you back at the moment. If you had it unlocked, then maybe it will do what you want.

Hammer

As hammer said, It is probably your cpu. Not only is it a TBRED A but also those 1800 were never known to overclock very well to begin with. If you unlocked it and lowered the multiplier, or if you added more voltage, you would be able to get a higher fsb. You should be careful raising your fsb above 150 on a non NF2 board as you may get data corruption on your hard drive when the PCI bus is raised too high (anything above 38 mhz or so could cause data corruption).

As far as your ram: What timings do you have it running at? I had my Crucial 2100 running 175 fsb @ 2.7vdimm at relaxed timings.

MoonWolf said:
As hammer said, It is probably your cpu. Not only is it a TBRED A but also those 1800 were never known to overclock very well to begin with. If you unlocked it and lowered the multiplier, or if you added more voltage, you would be able to get a higher fsb. You should be careful raising your fsb above 150 on a non NF2 board as you may get data corruption on your hard drive when the PCI bus is raised too high (anything above 38 mhz or so could cause data corruption).

As far as your ram: What timings do you have it running at? I had my Crucial 2100 running 175 fsb @ 2.7vdimm at relaxed timings.

My mobo is an asus and it raises only the memory fsb keeping pci/agp at 33/66, but I dont know how that affect the ide channel, I've had it like that (143 for more than 6 months without any trouble. about my ram I have'em at stock voltage and cl 2.0

One thing...upping the memory voltage and core voltage should help you get past 146...if not then...possibly new ram might help...and is your CPU unlocked in the BIOS?

And I thought the AGKGA Y 1800 steppings were Pali's...if that 1800 has DMT3C as part of the stepping then it is a Pali...

Yep, the processor is a palomino. I guess it serves me right to be wrong when I dont look up the stepping codes. Take a look at the CPU database on the front page to see what kind of overclocks people got with that same processor. I don't know about the ram, I never had mine running at cl2. I would venture a guess that youre close to topping out at those timings and voltage since the ram is factory rated cl2.5. Sorry, I did not look at the motherboard, either. Since its an nforce, you dont have to worry about data corruption.

Back