• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win2k sysadmin question(s)...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tcg23

Registered
Hello, I recently installed Win2k Pro on one of my family members pc's beause win98 was having problems (not going there).
Anyway, I have two (2) questions:
1: I get a message in my Event Log about "PerfNet" not working because my Server service is off (which I shut off, on purpose) how do I disable this "PerfNet" (PerformanceNetwork?) service?

2: How do I setup specific permissions for a certain user, what I want to do is lock the user from chaning certain setting when it comes to display and things like that. I know it can be done because at work we all run win2k and they have things locked down. I'm afraid that might be a domain related thing, if it is oh well.
Let me know if you need any more information.
-TheComputerGuy23

I get a message in my Event Log about "PerfNet" not working because my Server service is off (which I shut off, on purpose) how do I disable this "PerfNet" (PerformanceNetwork?) service?
I believe you'll need to install the 'Extensible Performance Counter List', available from MS here...

Exctrlst.exe: Extensible Performance Counter List

With the program open, under the 'Extensible Performance Counters' field, locate PerfNet | Highlight it, and uncheck 'Performance Counters Enabled'...I believe this disables the 'Performance Network'.

How do I setup specific permissions for a certain user, what I want to do is lock the user from chaning certain setting when it comes to display and things like that. I know it can be done because at work we all run win2k and they have things locked down
Local Computer Policies can be altered by using the Group Policy Editor...Start | Run | Type gpedit.msc and hit OK. Most of the settings you're interested in changing can be found under the following branch(s)...

Local Computer Policy | User Configuration | Administrative Templates...you may also find other useful settings under | Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates.

...of course you'll need to be logged on as Administrator in order to alter any Group Policies. ;)

redduc900, thanks the first problem was fixed with that download.
I am looking at the group policy editor, whatever changes I make only affects the administrator account, do I need to run gpedit.msc as the account I want the make the changes to?
If not, how can I export what changes I make in gpedit.msc to a specific account?
Please bear with me, I've never done Win2k sys administration at this level before.
-TheComputerGuy23

Back